Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

5 Posts

April 23rd, 2019 12:00

Windows server 2012 lost access to some PERC virtual drives

Hello,

We have PowerEdge T310 with PERC H310. It runs with 4 virtual dives in 2 RAID1 drives (4 physical HDD). So we added 2 physical HDD on it and created 1 additional virtual drive with RAID1. Then we lost access to Virtual Disk 1 and 2 from Windows Server OS. We could see all virtual drives on PERC Configuration Utility.

Virtual Disk 0 on Disk Group 0: OS
Virtual Disk 1 on Disk Group 0: Data
Virtual Disk 2 on Disk Group 1: Backup
Virtual Disk 3 on Disk Group 1: Data
Virtual Disk 4 on Disk Group 2: New Drive

We could see only Disk 0,  Disk 3 and Disk 4 at Disk management on Windows OS.

Please advice to fix this problem.
Any help would be appreciated.

• 

6.2K Posts

April 23rd, 2019 14:00

Hello

Windows disk management should only see three disks if you have three virtual disks. You will probably see the individual disks in something like device manager, but disk manager should list the virtual disks.

The information you provided is conflicting. I suggest that you review your configuration and verify. I think you are getting physical and virtual disks mixed up. The information that you state is displayed in the PERC configuration utility would make sense if Virtual Disk=Physical Disk. You would be missing a drive though.

If the information you posted is correct then you have sliced arrays, multiple virtual disks across the same physical drives. There is not enough information available to understand the configuration.

http://www.dell.com/storagecontrollermanuals/

Thanks

5 Posts

April 23rd, 2019 15:00

Sorry I missed again. All Disk groups are RAID1.

• 

6.2K Posts

Well, if you have sliced arrays and are using RAID 0 then recovery is not likely. Initially you said the virtual disks were RAID 1. It would probably be best to have someone review your configuration to make a suggestion on how to proceed.

5 Posts

Sorry, I missed some part. Here is a configurations.

Disk Group 0 - RAID0 (Physical Disk 0 & 1)
Virtual Disk 0: OS (Disk 0 on Disk Management)
Virtual Disk 1: Data (Not listed on Disk Management)

Disk Group 1 - RAID0 (Physical Disk 4 & 5)
Virtual Disk 2: Data (Not listed on Disk Management)
Virtual Disk 3: Backup (Disk 3 on Disk Management)

Disk Group 2 - RAID0 (Physical Disk 2 & 3)
Virtual Disk 4: New Drive (Disk 4 on Disk Management)

We have 5 virtual drives. I can see those 5 devices in Device Manager. But only 3 disks (Disk 0, Disk 3 Disk 4) are listed in Disk Management.

5 Posts

April 23rd, 2019 17:00

Thank you Daniel,

Do you know any affordable data recovery company who you can trust?

• 

6.2K Posts

April 23rd, 2019 17:00

You can use one of our system management tools like OpenManage Server Administrator to get more information on the virtual disks. It looks like one slice in each of your first two disk groups are likely in a failed state. You should be able to verify that using OMSA. You can find the download for OMSA on your system support page.

http://www.dell.com/support/

http://www.dell.com/openmanagemanuals/

If one of the slices are failed then recovery would likely require contacting a data recovery company. The H310 does not have detailed logging capabilities, so you can try reviewing other logs like the hardware log to get more information about the time of the failures. I'm not sure if the H310 supports forcing drives online. If it does then you could attempt that, but it is risky.

I think your best option would be to contact a data recovery company. You can use our fee-based support to have someone attempt to get the virtual disks back online, but I think the possibility that both virtual disks can be recovered is low. This would probably be fairly easy for a data recovery company. It is something they can probably do without shipping the drives to them.

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

April 24th, 2019 08:00

I have never used a data recovery company. Drive Savers comes to our site once or twice a year and gives out cookies and coffee. That is the only recovery company I know of, and I have no personal experience using their service.

No Events found!