PowerEdge HDD/SCSI/RAID

Last reply by 08-09-2012 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

dell 2950

ihave a Dell PowerEdge 2950 with a RAID 5 array of 3 disks, 3*400 and I want to add a two disk in different size 2*300

to expand the capacity of the volume.

I don't want to reinitialize the whole RAID 5, because I want to keep all the data on it and just expand it.

how can i do that?

Replies (9)

Hi asmaelsir

To expand a RAID 5, you will have to use the same disks size or larger. You can't expand if you are using smaller size than the original members of the RAID 5.

Once you have the correct disks to expand, you can perform reconfigure/expand of the RAID 5 using OMSA.

Please refer to the link below, under Virtual Disk Task: Reconfigure:-

support.us.dell.com/.../vdmgmt.htm

Let us know how it goes.

Manfred W
Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile
device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

ok,let me to ask is  the same thinng Applies if i want to create additional array by  using smaller size

I mean, other array

If you are creating a new array, yes you may use your 2*300 disks to create the new array.

When creating new array no limitation on the disks size.

You may want to follow the steps under Create Virtual Disk Express Wizard:-

Hope this helps.

Manfred W

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Sorry For Disturbance,can you give more details ,steps to create new array

7 Plutonium

What OS is installed?

Hi asmaelsir

If you have OpenManage Server Administrator (OMSA) installed, you can use it to create new array, please refer to the link below on how to create new array:

If you do not have OMSA installed, you can create new array in RAID BIOS, I assume is CTRL + R, please refer to the doc below on page 62 on how to create new array:

support.us.dell.com/.../ug_en.pdf

Let us know how it goes.

Manfred W

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

i used windows 2003 server stander edition ,

ineed make anew hdd  to make share folder ,What do you recommend me to use in Raid.

thank you for support

7 Gold

As you have just 2 drives available, your only options are raid 0 (more space, but no redundancy, so if you lose 1 drive you lost data on both drives), or raid 1 (mirror, so if you lose 1 drive the other one has all data still on it (mirrored)).

I'd recommend raid 1.

Member since 2003

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I add one Hdd to dell2950 becouse i found only one scsci interface , when i connected itis blinkign ok but when i read from omsa Shows foreign NO TASK AVAILABLE JUST BLINK & UNBLINKING, I USED PERC6.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor