tincupsg
1 Copper

poweredge 2950 perc 6i raid 5 e1810

Jump to solution

I hope someone can help with this.  I have a PE2950III with the perc6i.  It has a clean 250gb drive in drive 0 and 4 1tb drives in drive 1-4.  I set up a raid5 on the four 1tb drives in the drive controller and all was good for a day after I installed the OS.  The next day, drive 4 showed an amber light and hdd fault e1810 showed on the info screen.  I removed the drive, reinstalled it and it went through a rebuild but failed again....These are all brand new drives....Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
theflash1932
5 Iridium

Re: poweredge 2950 perc 6i raid 5 e1810

Jump to solution

Then I would suspect you have a bad drive.  I'd recommending testing them to be sure.

Updating the system firmware (BIOS, ESM, RAID) is a good idea once you have established healthy hardware.

4 Replies
theflash1932
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Are they enterprise-class drives?

Are they certified drives for the PERC (Dell co-branded, server drives)?

0 Kudos
tincupsg
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I got these drives because they were specifically advertised as being for this dell server, so I am sure they are compatible.  They are the same size and speed (1tb 7200 rpm) as the drives that were shipped with the system when I purchased it.  A little background; the system shipped with two 1tb drives.  I purchased one 250gb drive and two 1tb drives separately.  all are the same speed.  the 250gb drive is in bay 0, the two drives that came with it are in 1 and 2 and the two 1tb drives i purchased are in 3 and 4.  the drive that is in bay 4 is the one that worked for a day and failed. the ones in 0 through 3 appear to be working fine.  the 250gb drive is where the OS is installed and I have raid 5 set up on the four 1tb drives in bay 1-4.  could this be a bios or firmware upgrade problem?  I did not upgrade either after I got the system because the raid set-up, initilization of the drives and installation of the OS (windows home server 2011) went just fine....Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
theflash1932
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Then I would suspect you have a bad drive.  I'd recommending testing them to be sure.

Updating the system firmware (BIOS, ESM, RAID) is a good idea once you have established healthy hardware.

Highlighted
tincupsg
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks for your input, the new drive is on its way....

0 Kudos