Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 19th, 2009 09:00

"Foreign" status on reseated drive?

What does this mean when I reseat a failed drive and instead of going into a rebuild, it shows the state as 'foreign' and the only thing I can do with the drive from within OMA is blink or un-blink the drive?

KBeau

172 Posts

October 20th, 2009 08:00

You will need to clear the foreign configuration, reconfigure the drive as hotspare and the rebuild will start.

To clear foreign configuration:  select the controller on OpenManage, go to the "Information/Configuration" tab, on "Controller Tasks" select "Foreign Configiration Operations", click "Execute".  On the next page, click "Clear"

To reconfigure as hot spare: go to the "Physical Disk" view, on the "Available Task" for that drive select "Assign Global Hot Spare".

I this drive is of the same type (SAS vs SATA), of equal or greater capacity, and there is no other degraded VDs on the controller, the rebuild will start.

387 Posts

October 20th, 2009 08:00

Thank you.  The rebuild did not start, but the physical disk now is in a 'Ready' state.  How do I get it in an 'on line' state?  My only options are to Blink, Unblink, Clear or make it a hot spare.  I don't want to assign it as a hot spare.  But CLEAR?  That doesn't sound right to me either!

Thanks loads!!

KBeau

172 Posts

October 20th, 2009 11:00

If it is "ready" you do not need to clear the foreign configurations.

if you make it a hot spare, it will be used by the degraded virtual disk and it will become 'on line' when the rebuild completes.  That is your only option.  you cannot make a disk 'on line' just by changing the status.  The status will change when the disk has been properly integrated on the VD and all the data (and parity) written to it.

387 Posts

October 20th, 2009 12:00

I think I'm even more confused now.  I thought when a drive which is part of a raid array failed and was replaced or reseated, it automatically entered a rebuild state when the drive came back on line.  It never was a hot spare, just part of a RAID 1 configuration.

387 Posts

October 20th, 2009 15:00

I only reseated the failed drive.  I did not replace it.  Be that as it may, I will go ahead and configure the hot spare and get to rebuilding the RAID.

Thanks again,

KBeau

172 Posts

October 20th, 2009 15:00

That will happen if you replaced the failed drive with a clean one, it seems the one you inserted had a foreign configuration.  Now that the automated rebuild is not working, you need to configure a hot spare to rebuild your RAID 1 volume.

October 16th, 2014 10:00

Raid 5 config... Drive 1 failed... reseated drive, rebuild started then went to failed status then foreign... Followed these instructions and drive began rebuilding... 

1 Message

January 26th, 2016 03:00

does clearing foreign configuration erase the data on the hard drive..?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 27th, 2016 07:00

No. It only clears the RAID metadata. Why do you ask?

4 Posts

August 16th, 2016 08:00

I followed the earlier instructions to clear the foreign state message and now the drive shows as ready.  However, I'm not seeing the screens for setting it as a spare.

My environment:  RAID10 - 4x1TB disks, 3 show as online 1 as ready.

Thanks for any assistance.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 16th, 2016 09:00

Which controller do you have?

Typically, it is in CTRL-R and either VD MGMT or PD MGMT.

You can, and probably should, do this from the OS, using OMSA ... Storage, PERC: Virtual Disks/Assign Dedicated Hot Spare or Physical Disks/Assign Global Hot Spare.

4 Posts

August 16th, 2016 10:00

Going through the OMSA (Windows 2008R2) and making the selections you suggest I get:

Storage Management only displays those disks that can be used as a hot spare. There are currently no disks that are available, large enough, or of the correct type to be used as a hot spare for this virtual disk.

4 Posts

August 16th, 2016 11:00

When I follow those steps in OMSA (Windows 2008R2) I get:

Storage Management only displays those disks that can be used as a hot spare. There are currently no disks that are available, large enough, or of the correct type to be used as a hot spare for this virtual disk.

4 Posts

August 16th, 2016 12:00

Seagate/Dell

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 16th, 2016 12:00

What are the makes/models of the drives?

No Events found!