Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

6 Posts

November 19th, 2019 22:00

r620 and H710 mini mono: Controller doesn't show in iDRAC

Hello!

I just picked up a used r620 and have been poking around, learning the system and iDRAC as this is one of my first PE servers.  Based on the service tag, the system was (is? not sure of the proper description) an OEM server that had been debranded: there is no other OEM information on the system, but I, after trying every method I could find online, cannot get Dell branding to appear.  I have also been performing firmware updates using the regular r620 updates and everything has gone through without issue.  For reference, the BIOS was on something like version 1.35 when I received it so I stepped up to 1.65, 2.53, then to 2.8, but this issue has persisted through all BIOS/firmware versions.

However, there still lies a problem:  the system came to me with an h710 mini mono installed, but the controller does not show up in iDRAC under storage, only the "RAC0503" error.

I am able to load into the config utility from boot and no configuration is shown.  The controller was also able to halt boot due to the "loss of configuration" (or something similar, I don't have the error message handy) when i received it as I bought the server without drives.  One thing strange (or perhaps normal, I am not sure) is that, even after booting into config and running "Clear Config", the controller still interrupts boot to say the configuration is missing/broken.  I have since disabled the ability of the controller to interrupt boot with errors which has stopped this, but I'm not sure if that's just what the controller does when no config is present or if, for some reason, the controller is not actually wiping the saved config, perhaps pointing to another underlying issue.

As troubleshooting, I have updated the controller to the latest firmware (LifeCycle Controller detects the controller and can pull firmware and update it), used the "Reset iDRAC" link, remotely executed "racadm reset", and tried reseating the card and nothing will make it appear in iDRAC.  Beyond this, I haven't seen any other recommendations for how to address this and make the controller appear in iDRAC.

Does anyone else have other suggestions or insight?  I want to make sure I have visibility to any potential drive failures from iDRAC and thus has been baffling me thus far.  If drives are needed for further troubleshooting, I should have those by tomorrow so I can continue with that line of testing them.

For reference, the r620 is now on BIOS 2.80, firmware 2.63.60.62, and Lifecycle controller version 2.63.60.62.

Thank you!

• 

6.2K Posts

November 20th, 2019 10:00

Hello

The branding is determined by the installed identity module. I don't think identity modules are available to anyone except OEM suppliers.

I would re-seat the H710 mini and the cabling attached to it. Make sure you disconnect power and follow ESD procedures when handling hardware inside the system. It doesn't sound like the H710 mini is disabled based on the errors you are receiving, but I would check the integrated storage setting in system setup. I think the R620 has an option to enable/disable the integrated storage controller.

Thanks

6 Posts

November 23rd, 2019 21:00

Hello Daniel,

I've reseated the H710 and connected and reconnected the SAS cable.  I also have gone into the system setup and disabled the integrated controller at which point the H710 doesn't show up on boot.  After toggling the integrated controller again, the H710 is available on boot again but still doesn't appear in iDRAC.  Is this what is supposed to happen and, if so, do you have any other troubleshooting suggestions?

-Philip

6 Posts

December 2nd, 2019 18:00

Bump

6 Posts

December 17th, 2019 07:00

Bump.  Still not addressed.

6 Posts

December 17th, 2019 07:00

892 Posts

December 18th, 2019 13:00

Phil, did you install some drives in the system? Your original post says:
" If drives are needed for further troubleshooting, I should have those by tomorrow so I can continue with that line of testing them."

#Iwork4dell

No Events found!