Highlighted
1 Copper

r820 backplane throughput and upgrade compatibility to r830/r840 part

Hello!

I am having some trouble finding the specifications for the r820 backplanes (8 or 16 SFF).

I happen to have a PERC h730 on hand, but am reluctant to put it into this older server due to concerns that the r820 backplane may be a limiting factor.

I am specifically interested in understanding if upgrading the PERC makes sense with a stock backplane (and likely an associated adapter cable). I have on hand the 16-bay, but want information on any backplane type/combination.

In the event the backplane is indeed a limiting factor, though not officially supported, I want to know if the backplane mounting changed in the newer series. (Will backplane from say an r830, or r840 fit in the case of an r820 properly?)

--> Though the actual compatibility is likely not Dell supported, I want to better understand the r820's capabilities and possible unsupported upgrade paths.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted

Re: r820 backplane throughput and upgrade compatibility to r830/r840 part

Hey there,

what I can definitely tell you, is that the newer parts are not supported and not working in the older systems.

And I'm certain that the backplane is just a "dumb" piece - there is no intelligence on it, so it shouldn't be a limiter.

If you need more technical information about the PowerEdge R820 I recommend you the Technical Guide (https://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/shared-content/data-sheets/ja/Documents/Dell-PowerEdge-R820Techn...) it goes some deeper information about the hardware.

Cheers
Stefan

DellEMCStefan Richter
Community Manager
Brand certified, SMaC Professional
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Thank you Stefan,

I actually had some time yesterday and installed the newer h730, it worked as expected, even picking up the raid arrays.

I did a visual comparison and the two backplace PCBs appear to be shaped the same, so I believe it will be a drop in replacement with regard to if it fits in the case.

If the backplane is a dumb part, and the new PERC works, though not supported, it sounds like this should work. The only question is whether or not the new backplane would actually fit in the case...

Is there a way to find the dimensions of the backplane parts?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi jwest7676,

I checked all the documents that I found internally but I did not find any information about the dimensions, I'm afraid.

Maybe some other user, who reads this topic, can answer it - I'm not able to.

But it's good to hear that the PERC works fine 🙂

Cheers
Stefan

DellEMCStefan Richter
Community Manager
Brand certified, SMaC Professional
0 Kudos