Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 28th, 2018 03:00

two RAID 1 on R740 PERC H730P

In my R740 server I have four SSDs.

Two of them our now set up at RAID 1 and as the boot drive.

This was done during the Lifecycle Controller setup, where after setting up the RAID 1, I installed Windows 10 Pro.

I was told by the support unit when purchasing the server that I could easily setup the two remaining data disks in another RAID 1 conf.

However, this seems not to be the case. 

The Ctrl+R option during boot, as told by the PERC manual does not work, so no entering a menu there.

The Lifecycle Controller setup during boot still doesn not support more than one RAID setup.

The Bios Configuration Utility and its Virtual Disk Management doesn't have a entry to add a new Virtual disk.

Anyone with a clue

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 28th, 2018 06:00

Madssakre2,

One of the things I have seen that could cause the CTRL-R prompt not to be displayed would be if UEFI is enabled over BIOS. If you access the BIOS (F2 at startup) and then select Boot Settings. From there you would need to verify if it is set to BIOS or UEFI, if needed set to BIOS and reboot to see if the CTRL-R prompt has returned. You can configure the second VD then as well. 

If it is set to BIOS then the issue may be that raid isn't enabled. You can verify this in the BIOS, under SATA Settings. 

Lastly, if you like you can private message me the svc tag for the system so that i have the details.

Let me know what you see.

March 1st, 2018 00:00

Hi Chris

Thanks. I got the Ctrl+R to work after changing boot from UEFI to BIOS

In the PERC controller I couldn't select the two remaining drives to be RAID, so I returned to the BIOS, SATA settings, and when I changed "Embedded SATA" from "AHCI Mode" to "RAID Mode" it warns me that data will be lost. 

So I have paused and wanna here what's next

How can I private send you the service tag. What's your email?

Thanks in advance

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 2nd, 2018 12:00

When you say you couldn't select the 2 other drives for raid, what is it you are seeing? If you hit ctrl-n from the Virtual Disk page it will take you to the Physical Disk page, what do you see listed for the drives?

March 5th, 2018 01:00

Hi Chris

If need be I have images I can send you, and the service tag, but I fail to find out how.

The VD Mgmt says the two 893 GB disks are physiccal Unconfigured Disks.

On the PD Mgmt page:

These two disks are listed as Ready

Hitting F2 on either of them gives me the Operations page

Options not-selectable (gray) are:

Rebuild, Replace Member, Force Online/Offline, Remove Hot Spare, and Convert to RAID Capable

Options selectable (white) are:

LED Blinking, Make Global HS, Cryptographic Erase, Convert to Non-RAID

Hence, in my interpretation since "Convert to RAID Capable" is not selectable, I needed to goto the BIOS SATA settings as you said

In System BIOS Settings > SATA Settings > Embedded SATA has three options:

AHCI mode, RAID mode and Off

Choosing RAID mode gives me a warning that data will be lost.

If I loose the OS on the two disks that are already in RAID 1 seemingly, would put me back to start sort of. If it only involves the two not configured disks them no problem.

Thanks in advance 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 5th, 2018 07:00

If you highlight the disk group in VD Mgmt page, then hit F2 does it give you the option to Configure VD?

March 6th, 2018 03:00

Dear Chris

That was the final clue I needed.

Thanks a lot for you time, patience, help and support.

1 Message

June 3rd, 2019 19:00

I have issue with my server with window 2012 R2

My 2 server has two RAID configuration 

2 HDD 650 GB on RAID 1

2 HDD 4 TB on RAID 1 

total 4 HDD on one server. Both servers have issues with frequent rebooting and not come back. Screen would be blank. I have to manually or sometime force power shut down for server to make it work.  How can I solve this problem ? Please advise 

Thanks!

Bob

No Events found!