Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2017 21:00

11th gen R410 upgrade to Intel X5670 - no power

I have two R410 servers.

I think both are 11th Gen.

I purchased 4 x X5670 Xeons.

I tried all 4 in one server (1 at a time), all are working!

I put all 4 in the second server (1 at a time). It powers on for a second (fans roaring) and then stops, and the over again. 1 second, on, 1 second off.

I have installed the latest BIOS. but still same issue.

Any help would be appreciated!

• 

8.4K Posts

March 9th, 2017 06:00

BillyBob66,

Likely the issue lies with one R410 being a newer revision. As with the R410, with the introduction of the new Intel Xeon 5600 series (Westmere-EP) processors includes a stepping revision of the Intel 5520 and 5500 chipset. This stepping revision is required to enable the full Xeon 5600 processor feature set. Dell servers shipped with the new chipset revision will have the symbol II in the System Revision field, which is visible through OpenManage Server Administrator (OMSA) and the iDRAC GUI. They also show 

Image - Illustrates the II sticker on a blade server. Image - Illustrates the II sticker on a PowerEdge T710

on the servers themselves.

Can you identify the version of you R410's? What do they show as?

Let me know.

11 Posts

March 9th, 2017 11:00

One more question.

If I can replace the mother board with a new model into the same older chassis, what model mother board should I be looking for?

Thank you again

11 Posts

I don't see the "II" indication on the external chassis of either server.

I logged into the iDRAC of the server that I am having the issue with (with the original CPU it came with).

Can you tell which it is with this info?

PowerEdge R410     
BIOS Version     1.1.5     
Service Tag  

Express Service Code     

- If its the older one then what is the best CPU I can put into it?

- If I found a newer chip set version of the main board on eBay, would it fix into this older box?

Thank you very much for the help.

11 Posts

11 Posts

March 9th, 2017 20:00

See Attached.

Top server is the one that I am having issues with.

Bottom one which is 2 years newer is not having the issue.

1 Attachment

• 

8.4K Posts

March 13th, 2017 08:00

The top server is a first generation, it has a N051F motherboard, which is the original release of the motherboard, so it won't have the II. 

The bottom server has the 1V648 motherboard, which is actual the 3rd revision released. 

So the top server will not support, but the bottom one will.

Now with swapping out the motherboard. The thing to consider is that with revised motherboards come revised risers and other devices, so you may have to update more than just the board.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I would go ahead and delete the photo of your svc tag, for security reasons. 

No Events found!