Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 27th, 2017 19:00

Add Hard Disk

Hi

I have a server R330 with 3 hard disk2 GO  raid 5.

I already add an additional hard disk with the same capacity and same brand.

The point is, that this new disk is not fully recognized, the led is flashing always, I cannot see the hark disk but when I take it out, I get missing hard disk message.

What can I do?

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 28th, 2017 08:00

Hello.

It is recommended to use Dell certified enterprise class hard drives. 

The point is, that this new disk is not fully recognized, the led is flashing always, I cannot see the hark disk but when I take it out, I get missing hard disk message.

What can I do?

Are you able to see the drive within the controller BIOS, Ctrl+R? Otherwise, you use OpenMange Server Administrator (OMSA) to expand your array. Go to Storage -> Controller -> Virtual Disk (VD) and under the drop down list of the Available Tasks -> Reconfigure and add the new Physical Disk.

6 Posts

March 1st, 2017 04:00

Hi

The hard disk are original from DELL.

I used OSMA, but under the drop down list on Available Tasks I don't have Reconfigure.

I have only:

Delete, Check Consistency, Assign/Unassign Dedicated Hot Spare, Blink, Unblink, Rename, Change Policy, Slow Initialize, Fast Initialize and Replace Member Disk.

What should I do?

Thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 1st, 2017 06:00

If you don't have Reconfigure as an option, then one of two things is happening:

1. Your disk is not compatible with the existing array - you cannot mix SAS and SATA in an array, and you cannot mix HDD and SSD in an array.

2. You have multiple VD's (arrays) configured across the same set of disks. You cannot expand a VD when there is more than one on the same set of disks.

6 Posts

March 2nd, 2017 01:00

Hi

Yes there is 2 VD on the 3 existing disk.

One for the system and one for data.

But I think this is the minimum you need!

So what can I do?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 2nd, 2017 08:00

You don't "need" separate volumes for OS and Data - it is perfectly ok, but it is not necessary.

HOWEVER, this should be done by partitioning in the OS (or actual separate disks), not by slicing the disks to emulate partitioning.

All you can do is backup the Data drive, delete its VD, add the new disk and expand the primary VD, then recreate the second and restore.

You could also add two new drives in a RAID 1 and move data from your second VD to the new set.

No Events found!