Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2010 14:00

Add on video card recommendation for PE T110

Hello,

I am new to the forums here.. but have searched them for answers regarding the PE T110.  Now it is my turn to ask a question.  I recently purchased a PE T110 and wanted to upgrade the video with an add on card.  I have read some of the reviews and saw some people have had luck with the ATI 4350 and HD 5450.   However, both of those are PCIe x16 cards and my motherboard only has the PCIe x8 full and half length slots as well as a x4 slot.  Am I missing something here?  

Oh I have Windows 7 installed, so I guess I have a few questions, how are they using the x16 cards in a x8 slot?   And what are you using to upgrade your video card if you are using x8?  I do not mind ordering online if I have to, but do not want to deal with returns due to incompabitabilities.    My only requirement is a dual headed video card where each montior can do 1440 x 900, I do not care about 3D, I am using it the server as a workstation and to run VM's.

thanks

6 Posts

May 6th, 2014 06:00

I will attempt to do this now. I use my T110 as a workstation for work. I would like it to sync with my home PC. I will install now on a separate HDD and see what happens. Maybe 8.1 is the solution. Thanx

6 Posts

How does win 8 run? I had to down grade due to usb port issues. I found that every time i pulled the plug on the power supply to make a change the usb ports would just not work. I would have to disable and enable things on bios a couple of times before the usb's came back online. Since downgrading to win7 i havent had such issues. I am curious if i can upgrade it again to win 8 pro.

7 Posts

How does win 8 run? I had to down grade due to usb port issues. I found that every time i pulled the plug on the power supply to make a change the usb ports would just not work. I would have to disable and enable things on bios a couple of times before the usb's came back online. Since downgrading to win7 i havent had such issues. I am curious if i can upgrade it again to win 8 pro.

Well, in my case I have no issues at all. Not yet :) ... And I did not even a fresh install. I swapped my SSD from my laptop and that's it. Using Windows8.1 Pro 64bits

The only issue is that sometimes I have boot loops - but it has nothing to do with the OS.

7 Posts

thanks for the reply! after a lot of research, I got a Palit GeForce GT630 1GB passiv cooling to work without any problems. the great advantage is that this video card has a built-in sound card (works when you use a HDMI cable for example) and I don't need to buy a sound card to listen to some music. Also, it needs a 300W powersupply - which is just perfect for the PE T110...

Just for your information, I am using this machine as a workstation (photo editing). I am successfully running Win8 64bits with a 250GB Samsung SSD with no issues!

Something funny - although the mainboard specs states SATA II 3Gb/s, I am having SATA III 6Gb/s results in AS SSD benchmark tool. Around 520mb/s read and right. Great!

7 Posts

May 6th, 2014 07:00

I will attempt to do this now. I use my T110 as a workstation for work. I would like it to sync with my home PC. I will install now on a separate HDD and see what happens. Maybe 8.1 is the solution. Thanx

yes, I'd do the same - try to install in a different HDD and see how it goes. by the way, I have the latest BIOS version 1.10.0 from Sep/Oct 2013

6 Posts

May 6th, 2014 10:00

It was a fail. This time it was not the usb's that failed. Tried to load in Raid and then AHCI, finally got the furthest with ATA and while doing updates a brand new drive stopped working. Will stay with win 7 pro. 

7 Posts

May 9th, 2014 01:00

strange. I am using AHCI with my SSD and as I said, no issues at all. good luck!

7 Posts

May 19th, 2014 07:00

just to let you know.... yesterday after rebooting, suddenly my USB keyboard and mouse do not work anymore. I tested them with a Linux live CD and it runs without problems. maybe I will have to go to Win7 too.

but it was very strange, I did not update anything, just rebooted and was enough to stop working.

6 Posts

May 19th, 2014 09:00

It is pretty weird. I tried to find the root cause and failed. It just did not make any sense. The crazy thing is that it doesnt happen with Win 7. Win 8 really isnt so different. The menus have been move around and blown up but platform still similar. 

29 Posts

January 25th, 2015 03:00

Encountered this issue, one that worked is a DELL VT 5450 2GB DDR3 PCI EXPRESS GRAPHICS CARD

Here is link to more info:

en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/956/t/19615654

2 Posts

April 15th, 2016 09:00

I have been trying to get a few T110's going lately and have found various oddities too.

Sometimes installing everything seems happy until I update. Next clean install with same setup and it can't fully load the setup. Next clean install, it works. Very odd. I have had one T110 only work using ATA, while another will work with AHCI. I have not had a RAID config. work yet. I've tested with 3 different T110's so far. I have found that a ATI 4550 works, but have had no luck with an nVidia 8400, 8400 GS, or a 210 on any of the 3. I have had to disable the onboard video to get the cards to come on during post. It is when you get to Windows that some of the cards fail. One of the 3 systems always complains about detecting non-ECC RAM which is fine, but it is odd that the other two using the same RAM does not complain at all. All settings in the BIOS are identical and all have been updated to the latest 1.10. I have also noticed that 2 of the systems so far do not want to fully boot into Windows if I have more than 2 HDD's installed in it. I attempted 3 and 4 HDD's and Windows will just "hang" at startup. Drop it down to 2 HDD's and it boots like a charm. I have also upgraded to Windows 10 just fine. However, the video drivers for the onboard video from Dell will only work if you install from 7 (maybe 8) before upgrading to 10. If you try to run the installer under Windows 10 it will fail and tell you it doesn't support the OS.

No Events found!