Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 10th, 2016 10:00

Adding new PE M630 blade to existing VRTX

I have a VRTX currently in production, with two M630 blades acting as VMware vCenter 6 hosts. vCenter is running on Slot 1. Both Slot 1 and 2 are hosting independent VM's and sharing a RAID 10 repository as their vCenter Datastore.

Now I have a new M630 arriving today. And a set of additional HDD's to associate with it as a second vCenter Datastore. Our current production vCenter Datastore is almost maxed out, and I am not going to try to rebuild it to extend it.

My questions are these:

1. Can I hot-plug the new M630 into the VRTX so that it can be configured using the Dell CMC? Or do I have to power down the VRTX in order to configure the new M630?
  2. I have Dell documentation about how to create a new virtual disk using the Dell CMC, for when I plug in the new HDD's. Although I read some forum posts about how a new blade can sometimes get "stuck" trying to assign itself to the existing virtual disk. Which I don't want. I want to assign the new blade's shared storage to the new virtual disk I am creating. Since this is a non-clustered Datacenter I don't think this will be an issue, however.

Any assistance would be huge :)

• 

8.5K Posts

May 10th, 2016 11:00

Hi,

You should not need to power off the VRTX to add a blade, it should detected it and be able to power up the new blade unless you need to add pcie cards that require the VRTX to be powered off. Page 54 http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_poweredge/poweredge-vrtx_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

No Events found!