Start a Conversation

Unsolved

AG

2 Posts

July 20th, 2018 05:00

Addional drive installed in PowerEdge R530 not found in OMSA

Hi, I have installed an additional 1.2GB SAS drive in to the R530 (PERC H330), the drive powers up, both lights on the drive flash individually then both stay on constantly, but the drive does not show in OMSA.

I have run the View Occupancy Report but is only shows the live drives in the raid, does not show the newly installed drive. Is there a way to get OMSA to re-scan for drives?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

July 20th, 2018 06:00

Does not show under Storage, PERC, Enclosure/Backplane, Physical Disks? Even as "foreign"?

Is the drive a Dell-certified drive? What is the make/model?

Depending on the configuration of the server, did you mount it in the carrier/tray using the holes that put the drive the closest to the backplane?

July 20th, 2018 08:00

I have a feeling the drive is not a Dell certified drives, Procurement team ordered it, it has the same make/model as the drives installed and does connect and power up fine. Does the drive need some form of Dell config pre-loaded on to the disk for it to be picked up by OMSA, if so, can I still get OMSA to discover the drive without this config?

July 26th, 2018 15:00

Outdated firmware and or older OMSA may not report hardware inventory properly.  I would recommend rebooting the system and enter the PERC H330's management menu.

If your system is configure to legacy BIOS boot, during POST you will see the 'Ctrl +R' option to enter the PERC menu.  At the main PERC menu, go to the Physical disk management (PD Mgmt) tab and view drive status.  If drive is not seen, hot re-seat drive drive to see if the controller can see it.

If your system is configured for UEFI, you will need to hit F10 during POST to enter the Lifecycle Controller.  From LCC, you can perform a hardware inventory, or go to the PERC management menu to view drive status.

Good luck.

No Events found!