Highlighted
darryl325
1 Copper

BMC communication failure on poweredge 2950

Jump to solution

Good Day,

I have a PowerEdge 2950 server that has been down for 6months, just booted it up today and i'm getting the following error at post "Baseboard Management Controller Communication Failure".

I can still boot into the server, but my fans are spinning out of control and generating some serious noise. I checked under the Open Manage Server Administrator and i'm not seeing my fans at all. 

Just wondering if anyone encountered this problem and what solutions they used to rectify this problem

Thanks in advance

Darryl

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Krypton

Re: BMC communication failure on poweredge 2950

Jump to solution

Was the server set aside because of this error, or is this a new problem?

• Remove anything unnecessary from the server (drives, expansion cards, etc.).
  • Reseat all cable connections (power, data), especially the riser card(s) on the left hand side of the chassis.
  • Using the jumpers on the  motherboard, clear the NVRAM.
21 Replies
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Was the server set aside because of this error, or is this a new problem?

• Remove anything unnecessary from the server (drives, expansion cards, etc.).
  • Reseat all cable connections (power, data), especially the riser card(s) on the left hand side of the chassis.
  • Using the jumpers on the  motherboard, clear the NVRAM.
darryl325
1 Copper

Jump to solution

thanks for the fast response .

Reseating all cable connections (power, data) did the trick for me emoticon.Yes.title

Many thanks

darryl

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Glad it did!

0 Kudos
jessy5765
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Unfortunatly I am now having the same issue with my Dell NX1950. I installed Server 2012 on it and just wanted to do the BMC and BIOS updates to it. Half way through the BMC update I lost my remote connection. Went into the server room and found that it had rebooted, the front LCD display has both orange and blue lights lit up but nothing displayed, the fans are out of control, the DRAC will not initialize, the RAID is gone, and it says "Baseboard Management Controller Communications Failure."

I have unplugged the system and everything in it. I did not reset the NVRAM yet. Not sure how to at the moment. Reseated all the riser cards. I have it sitting unplugged at the moment. here is the issue. Its my VMWare ESXi datastore with all my servers... I am completely down at the moment.

Is there a way to reflash the BMC offline somehow?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

will it boot to a usb or cd? if not, you may be dead in the water.

0 Kudos
jessy5765
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Yes it will boot from both.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

excellent. you can flash all the firmwares using a bootable iso disc. I will make one for you right now to expedite the process. Stand by, I will post a link for you in a bit

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have created an iso for you, boot to this and it will flash all the firmware on your system in one shot.

http://dtxdropbox.dell.com

username: nx1950

password: ojgh5cm4

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

NOTE: you will probably need to take care of the BMC communication error before the BMC flash will work....

0 Kudos