tmah75
1 Nickel

RE: BMC communication failure on poweredge 2950

Jump to solution

I just ran the bootable CD I made from DRM, and it spat out a ton of errors about wrong directories to which it couldn't mount a heap of stuff like CDROM and what not. Ir promptly wanted to reboot too.

I also tried the other boot-up option of "Check media", and it flashed a few errors, then it told me that the check was requested, and that I had to run some command with parameters, and the only option was a reboot computer... Meh!!?

Tried to change consol with Ctrl+<n>, which worked, but was unable to input any commands ):0o

I downloaded this older catalog from the archives, and I'm unable to recall what date I chose, but I think it was the oldest I could find since my server isn't listed in the online catalog, and I haven't tried any other yet, but it's annoying when it's this *** complicated just to flash some firmware. Linux is nice, when it's working, otherwise it's utter ***! Too *** complicated to be useful.

I don't have that much experience with it, but I have used Debian a little, but that was like 10 years ago and then I ran an FTP-server. Since then I've forgotten tons of stuff, so it's quite difficult to remember what was what and why.

It's quite arduous to having to create an Linux CD, since there are so many dists out there, and then figure out which one the firmware works on, and what that need to have running.

I would like to do this from Windows, but I can't since I don't have a proper harddrive, and I don't really feel comfy running from Windows in the first place. But I'd settle for old trusty DOS, but it seem like that's not an option though, since it seem to be lots of RAM required to run the flash utility.

So, again: A few pointers would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
tmah75
1 Nickel

RE: BMC communication failure on poweredge 2950

Jump to solution

Finally, I got the problem sorted out!

I had, as I said earlier, an faulty hdd. I took my SSD from my laptop and put it in the server, made a new volume and installed Windows 2008 Server, and ran the BMC firmware-update, and presto - It worked!!!

I wonder why I didn't try this before!!? It's way easier than having a Linux-CD ISO that's not suitable for USB-drives.

Now, I can in good conscience install my (soon to arrive) new(ish) CPU:s, and order a new SSD, HDD and SATA-card and other goodies!

Anyways, if any of you guys are reading this and know what's wrong with the suppository, I mean, repository-ISO, and why it didn't detect I was using a USB-stick, and how to remedy this, please help others out.

Thanks you other guys for some interesting reading.