Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 21st, 2016 00:00

Blade m610 CPU

Hi I have an m610 blade server, and was looking into power consumption. Basically the main hog for my consumption is the cpu. As I dont need both cpus , is there a way to make the machine run with 1 CPU and dont issue with server? , including for thermal purposes. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 21st, 2016 17:00

Hello.

Yes, the server can run with just 1 processor but the amount of memory will also be affected. What power consumption issues are you having?

4 Posts

October 24th, 2016 05:00

Basically, I am renting a cabinet in a datacentre. thus being charged by the consumption so if i remove the unnecessary items I will lower the consumption. What I needed is that our requirements have lowered and we can run the machine with 1 cpu and half the RAM, not a problem. My concern is that if I leave the second socket empty, 1. will it give out errors due to missing cpu? 2. Regarding the thermals since the fans are not in the blade, will it affect the MoBo as there is no heat dissipation from that area because there no more contact with the metal piece of the heat-sink anymore. Will it affect the MoBo lifespan ?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 24th, 2016 09:00

The M610 is also designed to operate with 1 processor. As long as there is no thermal or electric contact with the processor socket the error will not arise and the MoBo lifespan will not be affected. It is rather a design consideration.

No Events found!