Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

1 Message

December 14th, 2018 00:00

Boot from NVMe issue for POWEREDGE t440

I am  install Windows Server 2016 on M2 NVME(SAMSUNG 970 EVO) drive inserted in to PCIe port via adaptor. Boot is set up to UEFI and bios updated to latest revision. Windows installer detects the new drive correctly, starts the installation. Than, after first reboot installer can't boot from this drive. 

BUT i have a same model which is POWEREDGE R440(using SAME Model SSD) is totally no have this issues, looking for your help

thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

December 14th, 2018 09:00

Hello

I suggest reviewing the system manual for anything you may have missed. If you have NVMe set to non-RAID mode then it should use native OS drivers, but if you have NVMe set to RAID and the embedded controller(S140) set to RAID it will use the S140 driver. That driver will need to be manually installed. Also, your boot order may need to be set differently based on your selection.

http://www.dell.com/support/

Thanks

1 Message

December 23rd, 2019 08:00

@shanwei how did you install SAMSUNG 970 EVO on R440 PowerEdge? 

please, could you provide a detailed step by step process on how did you install it? 

1 Message

January 4th, 2020 15:00

Hi, can you explain us the R440 process for boot a NVME on a PCI with WIndows Server 2016?

Thank you!

7 Posts

July 11th, 2020 16:00

The solution would be to use a dedicated USB flash drive and set as the first boot option, use its grub booting to redirect to nvme drive.
1. Install Linux into this USB flash drive.
2. install os into your nvme SSD(I use Asus hyper PCIe nvme adapter, which should also work for your case )
    you can use disk copy software or other tooling to install os in nvme drive.
3. change the default grub entry on the USB drive to nvme
I bought a mini-sized USB drive to attach to PowerEdge server.

The key point is to use USB flash drive's grub configuration to redirect to PCIe-nvme SSD installed OS.

1 Message

June 13th, 2023 22:00

I'm facing same serius problem, Installed nvme SSD to pcie adapter as non-raid mode. 

• Disconnected HDD raid array from Server (unplagged that pci slot)
  • installed Ubuntu 

But the nvme is not being detected by any boot sequence either UEFI or BIOS mode.

As a result no boot device is showing. What to do? 

Tried almost everything everyway I could, but no result.

• 

3.6K Posts

June 14th, 2023 00:00

Hello thanks for choosing Dell.

Is your NVMe plugged to PCIE slot? Then it may be the reason why it doesn't boot.

Another thing you can try is using BOSS since you have an T440.

https://dell.to/3qLOTk9

No Events found!