Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 1st, 2014 08:00

Brand New T620 Error - Voltage is Outside of Range

I unboxed the server yesterday and got the OS installed.  Overnight it shut off and now I'm getting 3 error messages on the front LCD and it won't POST. 

VLT0222 The voltage is outside of range. Contact Support

VLT0304 CPU1 M23 VDDQ PG voltage is outside of range. Reseat CPU

VLT0304 CPU1 M23 VTT PG voltage is outside of range. Reseat CPU

I've tried draining the power and booting with just PSU 1 or 2 but it didn't help.  What are my options?

• 

8.4K Posts

October 1st, 2014 12:00

SS32,

The issue you are having isn't being caused by the power supply. There is a voltage discrepancy on the motherboard regarding the processors. Could you power down the server and then remove the power cords from the server and depress the power button to drain the flea power. After that open the case on the server and locate CPU1 and then visually check to see if there are any issues with it. If you don't see anything then go ahead and check that the processor is firmly seated. 

If the error persists beyond that then I would take the server to a Minimum to Post configuration. That is removing everything from the server but the following items;

• System Board
  • CPU1 with heat sink (minimum for troubleshooting)
  • Single DIMM in socket A1
  • Control Panel with cable (to power system on)
  • PSU (and for redundant PSU also the PDB/PIB)

If the server still fails under that configuration the remove CPU1 and then place the CPU2 processor in CPU1 slot and test with it.

Let me know what you find.

17 Posts

October 1st, 2014 13:00

Will me going in and moving parts around have any effect on the warranty? 

• 

8.4K Posts

October 1st, 2014 13:00

Not at all. The warranty remains even if you were to upgrade the parts as well.

17 Posts

October 1st, 2014 19:00

Good to know.  I'll give it a shot tomorrow and get back to you.

• 

8.4K Posts

October 2nd, 2014 11:00

Since it was a new setup and powered on, it was just a thought that the move and then after running awhile it may have vibrated loose. If swapping the CPU2 processor to the CPU1 slot doesn't clear the error though it is likely that the issue is with the motherboard itself. Just trying to eliminate variables of what could be causing the issue.

17 Posts

I see.  I should have the thermal paste tomorrow so I can remove/reinstall the heat sinks and I'll see if swapping and/or reseating the CPUs does the trick.

17 Posts

I'm not able to swap CPU sockets yet, waiting on thermal paste, but I removed everything that wasn't necessary to POST and it still wouldn't power on and I'm getting the same errors.  Nothing looks like it's been moved out of place with the CPU but I won't know for sure until I take the heat sink off and look closer.  My question though is why would it boot fine at first and suddenly throw a voltage error overnight?  If the CPU does need to be reseated what could have caused the change when the machine wasn't touched?

17 Posts

October 3rd, 2014 08:00

CPU2 is in CPU1 slot, single stick of memory in A1, anything extraneous is unplugged and I'm getting the same error.  That means it's a problem with the board, correct?

• 

8.4K Posts

October 6th, 2014 08:00

I would lean towards it being the board that has the issue correct. You do have the expansion cards removed and you have reseated the risers as well? Just to confirm.

17 Posts

Correct.  I checked any connection that was necessary to POST and removed anything that wasn't.

17 Posts

What's the next step to get this fixed?  What do I need to do to get the server shipped back to Dell for repairs?

• 

8.4K Posts

October 6th, 2014 09:00

Do me a favor and Private Message me the svc tag so I can verify the options available to us.

17 Posts

October 6th, 2014 11:00

Sent

• 

8.4K Posts

October 6th, 2014 13:00

For security purposes I have contacted you via email.

June 23rd, 2015 20:00

Hi Chris, I got some issue and would like to know the solution for this issue. Thank you.

No Events found!