Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 4th, 2014 03:00

Broadcom 5719 QP - PC doesn't boot.

Hi folks,

I've just bought two Broadcom 5719 QP and since the 2 R420 that'll benefit from them are far away (200 miles) and involve a downtime of the whole infrastructure I wanted to test them in a normal PC equipped with PCI express slots (both 4x and 16x). The motherboard is Asus so I trust it. Other network cards like HP NC360T are seen without any problems within the same Asus motherboards.

I unfolded one of the card and installed it in the PC but it did not even boot (the PC didn't emit the beep and the keyboard leds flashed just once) I could hear only the sound of the fans,

I tried both the 4x and 16x slot. I also removed all the cards present in the PC and the PC still refused to start normally.

From my tests should I guess that the card is somehow defected?

By the way the hard-paper package reports Dell logo but the card doesn't have any Dell logo, just "Made in China" and if I'm not mistaken assembled in the late 2012.

One more thing I noticed is a metal bar close to the connector that I don't always see in pictures.

Unfortunately I don't have any Dell servers close to me.

I just would like to know if what I tried is sufficient enough to go back to the dealer and ask for the replacement. 

Thanks in advance,

Alex

• 

8.5K Posts

June 5th, 2014 16:00

KH08P is the part number, which is a 1GB quad port broadcom, so sounds like the right part.

• 

8.5K Posts

June 4th, 2014 08:00

Hi Alex,

The cards should conform to the PCI-e specs and be able to work in any system, however both cards being bad and presenting the same symptoms seems unlikely.

10 Posts

June 4th, 2014 09:00

Thanks John,

I found another PC where to test and I'm going to test the other card as well.

I'll put here my results.

A thought came into my mind because the same happens for RAID cards, meanign parts might not be genuine but I wouldn't know how to check that.

Is there any way to provide serial numbers or are there any details to check for in order to prove that a card is genuine (and hence guaranteed to work) or not ?

Alex

• 

8.5K Posts

If it doesn’t have a Dell sticker there is not a way to tell if it a part that we sold, however there might be a Broadcom part number that might let us tell if it is the same model.

10 Posts

Sorry, I meant Josh

10 Posts

June 4th, 2014 15:00

I guess that if they are sold in a Dell box (Dell logo printed on the box) they should also have a Dell stick on the board itself. I can post pictures if this can help.

BTW I tested both on a HP PC (slot PCI 8x or 16x) and either card hung (no POST messages) the PC meaning it could not boot.

Jokes aside, on one side it's weird that two cards out of two behave this way but also I used two PCs and both hang on boot with either card.

I'd rather check if indeed they are genuine.

Alex

• 

8.5K Posts

June 4th, 2014 15:00

Posting pictures may help, I can at least compare it to what it should look like.

9.3K Posts

June 4th, 2014 20:00

Look for a sticker that mentions a "DS/N". This would be the Dell serial number. This isn't tracked anywhere, but the first 2 letters represent the country of manufacturing (probably CN if the card says "made in China"), then you get a 0 (zero), and the next 5 characters are the Dell part number.

10 Posts

June 5th, 2014 16:00

I took a picture and in the detail attached I see what you asked for.

Unfortunately I don't recognize Dell part number. Afaik it should be 540-11148 but see other ciphers/digits unless you refer to some internal codes.

I can make available the full picture of both sides if that can help.

Many thanks,

Alex

1 Attachment

10 Posts

June 5th, 2014 17:00

Thanks Josh.

I'll upload the full picture in case somebody wants to have a full view of the card.

For what concerns me, I'm already in contact with the dealer.

Alex

1 Attachment

No Events found!