Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 10th, 2015 10:00

Cannot upgrade esxi on Powered R630

Having problem to upgrade (or fresh install) an VMWare Esxi installed on an Powered R630.
The server was delivired with VMWare 5.5 already installed on SD card media.
When trying to upgrade i get "Permission Denied" (see attached picture).
Have tried upgrade with bootable usb, cd and VMware update manager, all failing.

Have 2 servers and both have the same problem.

Anyone have any idea whats causing this?

1 Attachment

• 

6.2K Posts

October 10th, 2015 15:00

Hello

It looks like it is trying to modify the datastore. The datastore is likely on the physical disks and not the SD. If you are not using our custom image then the drivers required to properly communicate with the storage may not be loaded.

Thanks

2 Posts

October 11th, 2015 05:00

Hi, thanks for your answer :) I have tried using VMware media downloaded from VMware site and also after being in contact with Dell support i got the special Dell ESXI version, but i get the same problem with both versions.

• 

6.2K Posts

October 11th, 2015 14:00

Make sure you write down your product key before performing a fresh install. You can view it from the license section.

Set the USB mode to 2.0 and try the upgrade again. If the issue persists and you are already working with warranty support then it would be best that you continue working with them since a review of your configuration and all options that you are selecting will be needed.

Thanks

1 Message

October 30th, 2015 06:00

For anybody that finds this thread like I did a couple days ago....

There's a read only partition on the SD cards when shipped from the factory. When we tried to upgrade to 6.0U1 from 6.0, the installer from Dell could not overwrite that partition. After working with support for 9 hours, we discovered that the only option was to do a fresh installation. 

4 Posts

December 10th, 2015 08:00

Are you sure coredump wasn't configured to be on the SD Card? I recently had a similar problem and it turned out to be the coredump partition. Here is what I did

vmwwarevsansoupnuts.blogspot.com/.../so-i-ran-into-issue-recently-with.html

Basically removing the coredump partition, running the upgrade, then re-enabling the coredump partition.

4 Posts

December 10th, 2015 08:00

No Events found!