Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 10th, 2009 20:00

Cannot use a "Dell System PE 2950" BIOS in a " - "

Cannot use a "Dell System PowerEdge 2950" BIOS in a " - "

^ Is the message I get after booting from a bios update floppy drive on my PE 2950.

Currently it has 2.2.6 BIOS and I'm trying to update it with 2.5.0

What can be causing this weird error?

Thanks

1 Message

December 17th, 2010 15:00

I spent over 20 hours to find a solution.

My server came with IronPort IP2950 logo (when I boot).

Server didn't have CD/DVD, iDRAC or floppy options.

I bought CD/DVD and got a usb floppy drive.

I could run BIOS update from OS, CD/DVD(ISO) or floppy; but end up getting this error.

None of the solution worked for me.

But here is the solution that may work for others.

After the error you will be prompt to the A:>

Just type (your bios version 2.7.0) A:>020700 /FORCETYPE

Once completed, take the boot disk out from bay (I had a floppy; it may work with ISO file on CD/DVD) and reboot.

You will see new update; I did.

9.3K Posts

May 11th, 2009 07:00

If you're running Windows on the server, I'd suggest to download the Windows version of the bios update and run it from within the OS. If you're running Linux, get the Linux version. If you're running a different OS than those 2, download a Linux live CD (e.g. Ubuntu Desktop), and the Linux version of the bios update, boot to the Linux CD, put the bios update on a USB key and run it from within the Linux live OS.

As for the error itself, I'm not sure what that means.

5 Posts

May 11th, 2009 18:00

I tried running DUP updates with these three:

PE2950_BIOS_LX_2.3.1_1.BIN
PE2950_BIOS_LX_2.4.3.BIN
PE2950_BIOS_LX_2.5.0.BIN

They all failed once the system rebooted with "BIOS update attempt failed!"

Output from one of DUP executes:

Collecting inventory...
Running validation...

BIOS

The version of this Update Package is newer than the currently installed version.
Software application name: BIOS
Package version: 2.5.0
Installed version: 2.2.6

Continue? Y/N:y
Executing update...
WARNING: DO NOT STOP THIS PROCESS OR INSTALL OTHER DELL PRODUCTS WHILE UPDATE IS IN PROGRESS.
THESE ACTIONS MAY CAUSE YOUR SYSTEM TO BECOME UNSTABLE!
The BIOS image file is successfully loaded. Reboot your system to complete the update. Do not shutdown, reset, power cycle or switch off your system before it has restarted.
Would you like to reboot your system now?
Continue? Y/N:y

Broadcast message from root (pts/0) (Mon May 11 15:12:19 2009):

The system is going down for reboot NOW!

All seems fine until the reboot when it displays the update failure.

I also tried updating via IT Assistant and boot up floppy but they also failed.

Any ideas?

9.3K Posts

May 12th, 2009 07:00

If you have any PCI/PCI-X/PCIe cards in the server (especially cards not purchased with the server from

I'd suggest to call Dell Poweredge support as this may take a motherboard replacement to fix this kind of problem.

5 Posts

May 12th, 2009 13:00

Hmm, I did change the server hardware config from the shipped version.

Removed:

Intel NIC
4x3.5 Backplane
4 SAS 146GB HD

Aadded:

DRAC5 card 
6x3.5 Backplane
2 SAS 300GB HD
4 SATA 1TB HD

These changes would affect BIOS update?

5 Posts

May 12th, 2009 16:00

GOT IT!

Found another post in this forum with identical issue and the poster mentioned eventually using "OEM BIOS".

So I looked for it and found it, according to compatibility info it said the only difference is theres no DELL splash screen at boot and logo inside BIOS.  My server did not have either of those already so it looks like it came with OEM BIOS originally.

Flashed it with the OEM BIOS and now it's running 2.5.0 :)

3 Posts

February 24th, 2012 06:00

Thank you thaq -  FORCETYPE did it for me... three days before eventually downloading FreeDos and booting via USB and then trying this.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 27th, 2012 07:00

Who has original ironport x1050 lastest bios? Can send it me? I flash 2.7 from dell and front panel display dell manufactured, not ironport :-(

1 Message

October 7th, 2015 03:00

The /FORCETYPE flag worked for me too on the 1950 after trying all the Windows based versions. Thanks for the help.

1 Message

August 16th, 2017 13:00

Just to clarify 020700 is the file name of the executable. In my case the filename of my executable was R610-0~1. That threw me a curve for a while.  In any case the /FORCETYPE option to the BIOS installer got me past my issue, so thanks for the hint!

September 25th, 2019 19:00

My life is now enriched. Thanks for that /FORCETYPE...wow. I downloaded the EXE un-packaged file of the 2.70 BIOS for 1950 (selected Linux from the OS drop-down-list on Dell support page), use Rufus to create DOS flash drive, copied EXE to flash drive, and then booted to it. Executed the.EXE /FORCETYPE and it proceeded through. 

1 Message

July 8th, 2021 16:00

Some of the Bios update files require -forcetype as an option instead of /forcetype

No Events found!