Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2013 11:00

Change smtp "From" address (R815)

Hi,

Is it possible to change the "From" address of the DRAC?

We cannot get a particular address to send alerts via smtp unless it has a certain suffix for smtp.

Or is there another way to get the DRAC alerts without SMTP?

Thx,

John Bradshaw

• 

6.2K Posts

January 17th, 2013 12:00

Hello John

Here are the rules for how the suffix is generated.

If no idrac DNS name is populated in the network settings
Email sent as: idrac-svctag@[ip_address]

If idrac DNS name is populated, but DNS domain name is blank
Email sent as: idrac-svctag@[ip_address]

If idrac DNS name is populated, and DNS domain name is populated
Email sent as: idrac-svctag@DNSname.DomainName

If idrac DNS name is populated, and DNS domain name is set to DHCP
Email sent as: idrac-svctag@DNSname.DomainName

I hope that helps. If not let me know.

Thanks

743 Posts

January 17th, 2013 12:00

Thx Daniel. I'll give that a go and let u know.

JB

7 Posts

July 31st, 2013 11:00

This is not correct. I have the DNS drac name populated, but it is not included in the e-mail suffix. I just upgraded to firmware 1.40.40 and this still does not work. Apparently this has not worked for years.

For example I basically have:

DNS DRAC NAME set to:  FILESERVER07

DNS Domain Name set to:  CORPORATE.COMPANY.NET

and let's say the service tag is <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

I set the Asset Tag to:  FILESERVER07

E-mails arrive as:

idrac-WX12345@CORPORATE.COMPANY.NET

According to your example, the e-mail should arrive as:

idrac-WX12345@FILESERVER07.CORPORATE.COMPANY.NET

and it does not.

Furthermore, in the body of test e-mail the last two lines are nonsensical:

Event Message: Test email to user.

Severity: Informational

Date/Time: Wed Jul 31 2013 10:40:57

To launch the iDRAC7 Web Interface, click here: https://

To launch the iDRAC7 Virtual Console, click here: https:///console

Why can't we configure the e-mail prefix and/or suffix? It aopears this has been a request for at least 6 years based on posts I have seen.

Service tags are useless to our hardware personnel... we need the DNS Drac Name, Host Name, and/or the Asset tag somewhere in the from address or e-mail body.

30 Posts

July 31st, 2013 23:00

Hi LMark,

If you are using 12G platforms, the email should arrive as:

1. If DNS drac name and DNS domain name are configured:

DNSdracname@DNSdomainname.com

2. If DNS drac name and DNS domain name are not configured:

idrac-servicetag@IPv4address [NOTE:This will not work for IPV6. For IPv6, you will need to configure DNS drac name and DNS domain name. This is a known limitation]

The last two lines are links to launch the iDRAC7 web interface and virtual console respectively. So, they should be:

To launch the iDRAC7 Web Interface, click here: https://idracip

To launch the iDRAC7 Virtual Console, click here: https://idracip/console

In your case, I see that you are facing two issues:

1. The "from" address is idrac-servicetag@DNSdomainname instead of DNSdracname@DNSdomainname, inspite of DNS DRAC name being configured to the DNS Domain name

2. The two links are incorrect. The iDRAC IP is missing here.

Can you confirm whether your iDRAC is registered to the DNS server. Also, can you perform a racreset and retry it?

Thanks,

Mondeep

September 23rd, 2013 07:00

Hi Mondeep,

Although I'm not the one asked, I'd just like to say that I'm experiencing similar issues on several different 12G servers (checked with firmware 1.35.35 and the latest 1.40.40):

• It looks like the DRAC DNS Name is not preserved between restarts. When I set an arbitrary DRAC DNS name and apply the new settings, the sender address in alert e-mails is set correctly (dnsdracname@dnsdomain.name). However, after a restart, iDRAC falls back to using the default idrac- @dnsdomain.name sender address. I had even set up a DNS server capable of receiving dynamic updates but it didn't change a thing.
  • The links provided in alert e-mails contain no hostnames, e.g.: To launch the iDRAC7 Virtual Console, click here: https:///console

All the above was found out with static configuration - I haven't tested with DHCP as it's not an option in my case. IPv6 was disabled on all iDRACs I have experimented with.

The only workaround I have found (an unacceptable one, though) is to reapply iDRAC network settings after every iDRAC/server restart (login via HTTPS, go to iDRAC Settings -> Network, click Apply at the bottom of the page). This forces the iDRAC NIC to be restarted and the settings are properly applied until the next reboot (sender e-mail is correct and iDRAC's IP address is correctly inserted into the hyperlinks). This workaround doesn't scale, though, and thus a permanent fix needs to be implemented.

9 Posts

February 4th, 2014 14:00

I can confirm this bug still exists on R720 idrac running 1.46.45 (Build 04)

I can confirm the workaround of reapply network settings gets it to work again.  I tested it by using the test email feature.

• 

6.2K Posts

February 4th, 2014 17:00

I can confirm this bug still exists on R720 idrac running 1.46.45 (Build 04)

I can confirm the workaround of reapply network settings gets it to work again.  I tested it by using the test email feature.

Have you tried with the latest iDRAC firmware(1.51.51)? Also, if you are able please reset the iDRAC to defaults and test if it still happens. Some updates change the configuration file. If that file is modified to correct an issue then you will have to reset to defaults for the change to take effect. If it is still present in the latest firmware version then I will set up a server to reproduce the issue and get it on the fix list for a future update.

Thanks

February 7th, 2014 00:00

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your interest in the matter. I have just upgraded one of our test servers to the latest iDRACs firmware (1.51.51). Then I've reset iDRAC's settings through the web interface (Server -> Troubleshooting -> Diagnostics -> Reset iDRAC to Default Settings) and reapplied all the configuration needed for the iDRAC to be able to send e-mails again.

I can confirm that the bug still exists in the latest firmware. After resetting the iDRAC and sending out a test e-mail, the "From" header is set to iDRAC-XXXXXXX@domain.name instead of the configured iDRAC name. After reapplying network settings, the "From" header is set properly in e-mails sent afterwards.

Note that if you want to observe the issue I described above with missing hostnames in links, make sure you configure the iDRAC with a static DNS domain name.

• 

6.2K Posts

February 8th, 2014 09:00

Hello Michal

Thank you for testing that out. I am working to have this addressed. This type of issue does not usually get resolved quickly. I will update the post when I find out more.

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

February 16th, 2014 10:00

I just wanted to provide an update on the issue.

We have reproduced the issue. We tested the latest firmware 1.51.52 and it is present in that firmware as well. This issue was addressed a long time ago and it is in the process of being fixed in a firmware update. I am trying to find out if the fix will be applied in the next firmware release, or get some time-table of when we can expect it.

I'll update again when I find out, thanks.

• 

6.2K Posts

February 28th, 2014 12:00

Update

We are planning to release a firmware update in the middle of march to address this issue. We don't usually give ETAs on firmware updates because they have a bad habit of being pushed back. I just want everyone to know we have this issue resolved with a firmware update. We are going to get it released as soon as possible. The expected revision will be 1.56.

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

March 11th, 2014 10:00

Update

iDRAC firmware 1.55.55 is planned to release today. We are planning to release 1.56 tomorrow. I would suggest waiting until 1.56 comes out to install the update. If the issue is not resolved let me know.

Thanks

743 Posts

March 11th, 2014 15:00

Thx mate!

John Bradshaw

• 

6.2K Posts

March 12th, 2014 10:00

Update

I just received an email that the updates are pushed back. No ETA currently.

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

March 12th, 2014 12:00

Update

The release of 1.56 is very fluid. We are going to try to have it out by the end of the week. Current ETA Friday 3/14/2014.

Thanks

No Events found!