K

February 17th, 2004 09:00

Controller battery needs reconditioning. Please run

Controller battery needs reconditioning. Please run

Where can I do this?

Thanks

3 Posts

February 17th, 2004 20:00

This assumes you have Dell's ArrayManager. Fire it up. Under arrays find your controller (something like PERC 3/DI AFA0). Right click to get the popup menu and click on "Properties". There should be a "Recondition" button toward the bottom of the dialog.

Hope this helps.

February 18th, 2004 05:00

Thanks for your help.

I found it very quick.

But in the properties of PERC3 there stands Battery status : No Battery (and the option Recondition is not activated)

Is it possible there is no battery????

February 18th, 2004 13:00

No Problem

I'll have a call with the dell-helpdesk.

I'll let you know...

3 Posts

February 18th, 2004 13:00

Hmmm. That's a head scratcher to me. Maybe a Dell tech support person will jump into this thread with a suggestion (firmware update?, bios update?).

Beyond the realm of my very limited experience. Sorry.

February 19th, 2004 20:00

Hi,

Depending on the type of RAID controller present in your system (such as the Adaptec PERC3/SI or PERC3/DI), a firmware and driver update on the controller itself will likely resolve the reconditioning issue for you.  The latest update for such cards is version 2.71, which allows the RAID controller to automatically recondition itself, eliminating the need to do so manually in Array Manager. 

Below is a link to a Dell knowledgebase article that fully explains battery reconditioning and why it is necessary:

Below are steps that should get you to the downloads page that you need for version 2.71 updates for your RAID controller:

Go to http://support.dell.com
Choose your system/product type or enter your service tag.
On the following page, choose Downloads from the middle of the screen.
Select your operating system and download category (SCSI RAID).

If updates are needed for your system's RAID controller, it is strongly recommend that you first update the Windows driver, then reboot and update the controller's firmware.  Failure to update in this order could lead to a corrupted RAID array.

No Events found!