Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

35 Posts

August 16th, 2018 11:00

Convert UEFI to BIOS

I have a PE R720 running Windows 2008 R2. I would like to convert it from UEFI to BIOS.

We recently got an Arcserve UDP backup appliance. One of its handy capabilities is to host a VM (VMWare or HyperV) creating it from any restore point in the event the server goes down.

When we tested making a VM of this server we got errors that say only backups of BIOS systems are supported. We can still do a baremetal restore but no VM.

This is an older server that will not be running a volume bigger than 2 TB. Is there a way to convert it from UEFI to BIOS that's not too painful?

• 

6.2K Posts

August 16th, 2018 14:00

Hello

The hardware can support either, and you can freely switch between them without any hardware changes. The operating system is what will complain when you change the boot mode. I'm not aware of a supported way to convert an OS. I have used boot record repair procedures for Windows operating systems to change the boot modes. I'm fairly certain that what I did was not supported, but I was able to get it to work. I suggest that you get a backup before attempting something like that.

You should research documentation on your operating system for more information on making this change.

Thanks

No Events found!