Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

October 12th, 2016 17:00

DCS1200SX BMC update failed

Hi, Daniel or Dell Support.

Is this thread for Ian only? Or I can ask questions about our C6220 as well? Our problems is also about updating BIOS and Firmware. I tried your suggested instructions with the Support Live Image bootable CD, but it does not contain any BIOS, Firmware, etc to update. It only has the DSET utility but when opening the report it asks for a password.

Here are my details questions/problems. Please spare a moment. Thank you very much in advance!

1/ How may I change the server's name, and IPMI name?

2/ BIOS/Firmware updates: This is what I have done thus far, and now having issue with the BIOS not seeing the BMC:

(a) I tried creating SBUU from Dell Repository Manager and was able to create the DVD but then it isn't bootable.

(b) Because I was unable to create a bootable SBUU, therefore I decided to install Windows 2008 R2 to one of our older hard drive and booted from our Node#1 first, downloaded and updated these from support.dell.com, on to node#1:

www.dell.com/.../drivers

- BIOS 2.5.3 (file name: BIOS_YR4WF_WN64_2.5.3)
-BMC Firmware 2.53 (file name: ESM_Firmware_Y4DVN_WN32_2.53)

(c) AFTER successfully updated BMC firmware 2.5.3, the BIOS settings does not see BMC and/or IPMI. What should I do? I tried updating older version of BMC firmware v2.25 (ESM_Firmware_V4DTW_WN32_2.25.EXE) but it said incompatible and thus, failed! I also don't know how to uninstall v2.53. What is the best and simplest way to fix this problem?

NOTE: everytime booting the server, it display message "configuring memory" for at least a few minutes. It used to be pretty fast before all the updates.

(d) Do I need to update firmware in any order? This article said for the C6000 (NOT specifically C6220) states we must 1/ update FCB once for on the 4th node first; then 2/ BMC and BIOS once per node.

github.com/.../server-dell-cseries-c6220

(e) Do I need updating anything else beside FCB, BMC, and BIOS? Which are the important/critical that must be updated?

Sincerely,

Mike

1 Message

October 17th, 2016 00:00

Result.pk  is the best website for your latest academic results as soon see as available for educational year 2015-2016 . Our results are immediately updated shortly after release,  http://www.result.pk/

14 Posts

October 17th, 2016 12:00

Hello.

It has already been almost a week since my post. Could someone please shed some light? Basically at this point, I would like to find out how to revert or downgrade the BMC Firmware back to its original version.

Thanks!

Mike

• 

6.2K Posts

October 21st, 2016 10:00

Hello

It has already been almost a week since my post. Could someone please shed some light?

You did not receive a response because you posted off-topic in a thread. If you have a question then create a thread about it. Do not post on another thread in an attempt to get a response from me. I have moved your post out of that thread and created a new thread for it.

Basically at this point, I would like to find out how to revert or downgrade the BMC Firmware back to its original version.

That may not be possible.

The service tag you provided to the consumer Facebook team lists this as a DCS 1200SX system. It is not a C6220 and you installed a C6220 firmware update onto it. There is no support or download page for the DCS line of systems. You should not perform any hardware updates on a DCS system.

Normally I would advise to try reflashing the BMC with the correct version, but you likely do not have access to the correct BMC files since you did not know this was a DCS system. DCS systems have dedicated support teams and contracts that are not transferable when the system is sold. You cannot get the correct BMC update to reflash the system.

Thanks

14 Posts

October 25th, 2016 01:00

I am using my cell phone and mow able to copy and paste the mentioned dell support driver link with our C6220 service tag. Here it is..

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/servicetag/4TF5ML1/drivers?ref=196_imgtitle&rvps=y

14 Posts

October 25th, 2016 01:00

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for your message. I did actually created a new server thread but did never receive a reply. I am sorry that i posted here. I don't remember which Service Tag number given to Facebook team, but the dell support driver link i provided on my origian post above is the correct tag number for one of our C6220 node. The number is 4TF5ML1

I am currently out of the office due to family emergency, so my access is limited, and may not respond to your question sooner.

14 Posts

October 25th, 2016 13:00

Please also kindly let us know the following..

1. Which bios and firmware version is critical to update? Please provide a working link and files.

2. Do you have a bootable SUU or SBUU link for me to download? Dell Repository Manager i used latest version but couldn't create a bootable SUU.

Our current servers is a barebone and does not have any Operating System.

Thanks a bunch!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 27th, 2016 15:00

1. Which bios and firmware version is critical to update? Please provide a working link and files.

There isn't any. As earlier advised by Daniel, you have DCS1200SX and not a C6220 system. The DCS systems are highly customized by individual customers and as such Dell does not have any support in the form of drivers, firmware or hardware. There are risks involved when attempting to use Dell firmware or drivers in these systems.

14 Posts

October 27th, 2016 16:00

Hello, Robert.

Thanks for your message, but did you read my replies from 2 days ago on 10/25? As mentioned, please look up Service Tag# on support.dell.com, which I originally mentioned and I am sure you will see it as the C6220 server, "not" DCS1200SX system as mentioned by Daniel.

PowerEdge C6220
Service Tag: | Express Service Code:

Please allow me to clarify and explain it once again...

1) My original message included the Service Tag# , and it is also detected or showing C6220 as the server's model for this Service Tag on the Dell's drivers support link below, so I am confused and not sure why you and Daniel said it is a DCS1200SX system.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/servicetag/4TF5ML1/drivers?ref=196_imgtitle&rvps=y

2) BIOS, BMC Firmware, or even drivers would NOT work and will immediately error out, if applying or updating on to a different system.

3) 3) According to the Dell drivers link, below are the lhe latest firmware. I was updated and these files below said successfully updated to these version which is recommended by Dell...

- BIOS 2.5.3 (file name: BIOS_YR4WF_WN64_2.5.3)
- BMC Firmware 2.53 (file name: ESM_Firmware_Y4DVN_WN32_2.53)

However, everytime booting the server, it display message "configuring memory" and stuck here at least 4 minutes before continuing to boot, then display BMC Firmware version: FF.FF (instead of the actual version number)

BIOS settings (F2) does not see BMC and/or IPMI.

So this means it either the BIOS, or the BMC Firmware on the Dell site is corrupted and cause damage to the memory, or damage to the BMC/ESM adapter. My questions is..

(A) How to fix it, so that we can start updating all other nodes and servers too?

(B) If can't fix it, then how to "flash back" to previous BIOS or Firmware? Which version is safe and highest version that is required by Dell?

(C) Since Dell mentioned on their drivers support site, the BIOS 2.5.3 and BMC Firmware 2.53 are recommended to update, could you please provide a link or email me the known working version?

• 

6.2K Posts

October 28th, 2016 10:00

please look up Service Tag# on support.dell.com, which I originally mentioned and I am sure you will see it as the C6220 server, "not" DCS1200SX system as mentioned by Daniel.

You have provided the service tag multiple times. Posting it again is not going to change my response. The DCS line does not show up correctly on our website. You do NOT have a C6220. I advise again that you stop installing C6220 firmware onto it.

I have removed your personal information from another post. Stop posting service tags and express service codes on our forums.

You can reference my first post for more information.

Thanks

1 Message

November 14th, 2016 00:00

i'm running my blog aiou on blogspot and want to upgrade it on serve 

1 Message

March 20th, 2019 06:00

I think i was not familiar with these before. I know with all of that going I don't have to worry about the board failing due to this issue, but I still would like to update the BMC firmware again. 8th Class Result

No Events found!