Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 15th, 2019 00:00

DELL PE 2950 BIOS update

Hi, I am working on PE 2950; Windows server 2003 - Dell Open Manage Server Administrator v5.2.0 / BIOS v1.3.7

The server has been rebooting randomly several times with the log message : " System board OS Watchdog: watchdog sensor for System Board, power cycle was asserted "

I am thinking about upgrading BIOS to 2.7; I downloaded the update from DELL site and I am asking if BIOS update could generate any risks like RAID disks reading or other effects

Thank you !

• 

8.4K Posts

August 23rd, 2019 12:00

It being that far behind could cause it, and I don't see OpenManage causing it. You could update to the latest version of OMSA, but I wouldn't until after getting the server up to date.

• 

8.4K Posts

August 15th, 2019 05:00

IconGo00,

I would highly recommend that you DO NOT update to the latest BIOS from 1.3.7, which is currently 9 updates behind. Doing so can cause permanent damage to the motherboard. What we will need to do is walk the BIOS, as well as the Drac, up to current. If you follow this link it will show the available updates for the 2950, just search for BIOS and then I would update in the following order.

BIOS 2.1.1

BMC/ESM

BIOS 2.3.1

BMC/ESM

BIOS 2.4.3

BMC/ESM

BIOS 2.7.0

Without knowing the current version of the BMC/ESM I can't give you the specific updates, but you do need to walk the BMC/ESM up as you do so with the BIOS. 

Let me know how it goes.

5 Posts

August 15th, 2019 09:00

Thank you for your reply

BMC is v1.33

Have you please any suggestion regarding PE2950 random reboot with the mentioned error log message ? Could the BMC/BIOS upgrade solve it? Or could it be either due to OMSA old version (5.2.0) ?

And for OMSA upgrade, shall i upgrade only to v5.4 or I can install the new version v7.1 ? if I do is there any risk like reading problems of RAID disks ?

Thank you Mr Chris,

No Events found!