Start a Conversation

Unsolved

BB

10 Posts

July 16th, 2019 10:00

DRM 3.2 Smart Bootable ISO runs into signature verification issues when booted

Running DRM 3.2 / SU 1.7.0 / bootable ISO plugin 930.  Create a Smart Bootable ISO with updates, then mount it on the server, and boot from it.  It boots, starts SU 1.7.0 which begins parsing the config file, then says "Signature verification for inventory collector failed"  "Exiting DSU!", and that's the end of it.  It won't get to the point where any BIOS or firmware updates are applied, on any server I'm trying it on (R630, R640, R730, R740, etc).  This started some time in the last month or two, so I'm not sure if it's a newer plugin, or SU, or just an old cert that's now expired, or what the issue is.  I've seen some options to tell SU to ignore the errors, but the Smart Bootable ISO builds itself, I shouldn't have to manually hack my own script option arguments into the ISO image before I can run it.

Anyone else seeing that, or know of a work around?

• 

6.2K Posts

July 16th, 2019 16:00

Hello

I tried reproducing this on an R720 using 3.2 with all of the same plugins you are using. I was not able to reproduce it. Can you test with a small bundle and give me the steps to reproduce if you still experience the issue.

Thanks

July 17th, 2019 11:00

I'm trying to use the smart bootable ISO to upgrade BIOS & firmware on a clean R720, before installing any OS.  This is a procedure I've been using for years, so if something new has changed and I'm causing the problem, let me know.

Just to check everything, I removed DRM from my workstation, and re-installed it again clean, from a fresh download, on a W10 workstation.

It has the following versions, which show current as of today:
DRM 3.2 / ISO plugin 930 / SUU 792 / SU 1.7.0 / catalog 19.07

Steps I used for this test:

create new repository for R720
system - custom - R720 only selected
OS - custom - Linux - select all
components - custom - firmware & BIOS checked - select all
click ADD

Export the R720 repository
select Smart Bootable ISO
Select folder to place ISO in
No other options checked
Click Export

This creates an approx. 3.3 GB ISO that I named "R720.iso"

I connect to an R720 via iDRAC (running current 2.63.60.62 firmware)
Launch virtual console, connect virtual media
Map the R720.iso to the virtual CD/DVD drive
Set "next boot" to use the "virtual CD/DVD/ISO" setting.
Power the R720 on, it boots the Smart Bootable ISO and runs automatically

It eventually says: "starting dsu" (version info) / "parsing configuration file" / "Signature verification for inventory collector failed"

Then "Exiting DSU!", followed by Press Enter to reboot . . .

July 21st, 2019 07:00

I'm getting the same error when trying to update an M610 blade server.

• 

6.2K Posts

July 22nd, 2019 09:00

The image is too large to share on the forum. A registration email for our file share was sent to your email address on your forum account.

Are the options I listed in the 7/17 reply not sufficient to build the same ISO image?  Let me know what I'm missing, and I'll add the additional details.  Also, where do I find the file share for community to download that ISO?

Here's the steps I listed in the 7/17 reply, and what I selected at each step, and how I tested it:

create new repository for R720
system - custom - R720 only selected
OS - custom - Linux - select all
components - custom - firmware & BIOS checked - select all
click ADD

Export the R720 repository
select Smart Bootable ISO
Select folder to place ISO in
No other options checked
Click Export

This creates an approx. 3.3 GB ISO that I named "R720.iso"

I connect to an R720 via iDRAC (running current 2.63.60.62 firmware)
Launch virtual console, connect virtual media
Map the R720.iso to the virtual CD/DVD drive
Set "next boot" to use the "virtual CD/DVD/ISO" setting.
Power the R720 on, it boots the Smart Bootable ISO and runs automatically

It eventually says: "starting dsu" (version info) / "parsing configuration file" / "Signature verification for inventory collector failed"

Then "Exiting DSU!", followed by Press Enter to reboot . . .

• 

6.2K Posts

Hello @Richie2000 

I have been unable to reproduce this issue. I tried to create a file share account with @bruce-bwarrington.com to share the ISO I created using his instructions. That ISO does not produce the error for me. I'm trying to narrow down the cause of the issue, ISO creation or possibly a system setting.

If you want to help me track down the issue then let me know the options you are selecting. I will create the ISO, test it to see if I get the error, and then share the file with you to test if I am unable to reproduce the error.

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

July 22nd, 2019 10:00

I created the image following your instructions and was not able to reproduce. The image should now show in your SSFD account. Please test that image and compare it against the image that you created.

July 22nd, 2019 10:00

I got logged in to SSFD, no files are shown for download.  Also, are the steps I Iisted sufficient for you to re-create the same ISO that I am using? 

July 22nd, 2019 12:00

Your ISO gets past the signature verification and runs OK.  Comparing our 2 ISO images, yours is 2KB larger, and there are only 2 differences in all of the files in it:

The "drm_files\repository\catalog.xml" has differences in it (same size on both files)

And your ISO has 1 extra file which is missing from mine, which is:

"drm_files\repository\folder05474340m\1\invcol_djnvp_ln64_19_04_200_472_a00.sign"

Is this the signature for the inventory that's causing the error for me?   My ISO has the file itself, it's just lacking the ".sign" PGP signature file for it that your ISO includes.

I've already done a remove / re-install of DRM.  Any ideas why mine does not include that .sign file, if that's the issue?  Let me know if you want me to upload my ISO, if you want to do the same comparison of what my DRM installation is generating.

• 

6.2K Posts

July 22nd, 2019 13:00

The signature file missing from inventory collector is likely why the error is occurring. I deleted and re-installed DRM on a W10x64 workstation. I created the smart boot again, it included the sign file. Check this location and see if the sign file is showing for you.

http://downloads.dell.com/folder05474340m/1/

2 Posts

August 14th, 2019 02:00

I got the exact same problem, trying to update some R620 and R630.

When booting, i get the same error: Signature verification for inventory collector failed

Exiting DSU!

drm_files/apply_bundles.sh execution is completed ....

Press Enter to reboot ....

Using Repository Manager 3.2.0.508 to download bundles and build ISO file.

Fresh install with all bundle files freshly downloaded.

Any solution to this anoying problem?

August 15th, 2019 16:00

What I did:

Renamed folder FOLDER05474340M  in Store. Thx to bruce-bwarrington.com for doing job of comparing ISOs.

Which caused DRM to re-donwload it, when creating  iso.

And .sign file was there in Store again.

Created .iso and .sign file was included  and after  .sign file was there - I could see no more in FOLDER05474340M   folder in Store.

As I believe problem appeared after updating plugins - problem seem to be there.

Something like moving instead of copying for this .sign file.

Update seem to be runing from such an ISO. Copying file manualy to the folder seem not to work.

1 Message

September 25th, 2019 06:00

I had to upgrade my DRM from 2.0 to 3.2 after getting a new laptop with Windows 10 installed. After rebuilding my previous Bootable ISOs (i.e. with same BIOS, Perc, Network, and DIAG firmware) on 3.2 for my R320, R720, and R330 Servers, the ISOs now fail after hanging for about 10 minutes at the iSCSI mount message above, and don't attempt to load my firmwares.

I noticed the rebuilt iso for 3.2 has different folders, different DTK level 930 vs 902, and different apply_bundle.sh. I also notice with 2.0 I booted into Deployment Tool Kit version 6.0.1 BLD 2580, now with 3.2 I boot into Dell Bootable ISO with ISOLINUX 4.05. I assume these have something to do with the problem I am having. I tried overriding the default script 930 with what I was using with 2.0, but this did not help. As I can't go back to 2.0 because it doesn't support Windows 10, I need a 3.2 fix, but not sure what needs to or can be changed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John Ganister

November 9th, 2019 06:00

I ran into exactly the same problem you did.  Were you ever able to update the BIOS?  

November 9th, 2019 17:00

On the original issue, I got it working again by deleting everything in the local data store, so it would all download again, which downloaded a missing signature file.  That directory is specified in your config settings in DRM, but I believe my default was something like c:\program data\dell\DRM\store for the top of the tree to delete.

I'm also currently running into this same exact issue all over again this month, and that original fix no longer works.  I've tried removing the app, deleting everything still on disk, both the program files app directory, as well as everything under the program data\dell tree, and re-installing from scratch.  Still not working.  Under the idea that it was the plugin updates that seemed to trigger the original issue, I'd re-install clean, update the plugins, get a bad ISO with the error, so I'd remove the store directory again, and re-download, and still the same issue.

The original problem could also be found by extracting the ISO files, and searching every BIN file, and looking for the matching .BIN.sign file (one .sign file was missing in the original issue).  Did that on the current ISO with a problem, but could not find any mismatched file pairs, meaning every .BIN had a matching named .BIN.sign with it, so I'm at a loss as to what's wrong this time.  I've tried both my normal ISO of all files for a given server line, as well as a smaller custom ISO built with just what firmware needed to be updated by pulling the inventory off of the DRAC card, and both fail with the error message of a problem with the signature, and it never tries to install anything.

So the issue is back, but I don't believe it's a corrupt or missing file on my system any more, as I've also tried a clean install on a box that never had it installed before, and it still fails.  

If you find the fix for your install, please update this thread again, as I'm back in the same situation, as I would assume multiple other engineers are as well if it's happening to us.

No Events found!