Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

March 16th, 2018 03:00

DRM Bootable ISO fails to mount /dev/cdrom PowerEdge servers via USB bootable media

Dell Poweredge R710 - trying to update the Bios and Firmware

Downloaded the ISO image and used Rufus to create a bootable USB - error when installing

/opt/dell/toolkit/systems/drm_files/apply_bundles.sh is invalid…”

http://www.dell.com/support/article/uk/en/ukbsdt1/sln296511/updating-dell-poweredge-servers-via-bootable-media-iso?lang=en

Boot from USB - boots fine - but then comes up with an error - which is a known issue

Known Issues:

DRM Bootable ISO fails to mount /dev/cdrom, which results in a message indicating

/opt/dell/toolkit/systems/drm_files/apply_bundles.sh is invalid…”

At this time, it appears that the CDROM device is not yet available when the final file executes during init, which consumes variables specified in isolinux.cfg (share_script, share_type):

Solution Dell provides is

To apply the updates when one of the above is received, perform the following:

1.: Press + to access a new console 2.: Press to access a command prompt

3.: Type “mount /dev/cdrom /opt/dell/toolkit/systems” and press

NOTE: Depending on your configuration the device name can vary, e.g. /dev/cdrom1 4.: Type “./opt/dell/toolkit/systems/drm_files/apply_bundles.sh” and press

5.: The apply_bundles.sh script will begin executing as follows:

-------------------

cdrom* is the displayed id

Type “mount /dev/cdrom* /opt/dell/toolkit/systems” and press

Can`t mount.

Stuck trying to load the image

1 Message

March 16th, 2018 20:00

If you're using a USB device, it'll be listed as a /dev/sd* device. You can use the following command to list them:

ls -l /dev/sd*

If you have more than one device listed, see which one is the USB device by printing the device info and referring to the device capacity (using /dev/sda as an example):

fdisk -l /dev/sda

You need to mount the partition to the directory (using /dev/sda1 as an example):

mount /dev/sda1 /opt/dell/toolkit/systems

Then you can run the script:

/opt/dell/toolkit/systems/drm_files/apply_bundles.sh

1 Message

April 11th, 2018 13:00

This worked for me.  Thanks for this response! 

7 Posts

April 12th, 2018 00:00

Hi,

I had that issue yesterday trying to update my T410 and solved it by doing the following:

1. after you in (ALT + F2) run 

lsblk

2. this code will list your disk name, mine was sbd1(usb), before you run the next code i found that i have to go back out one step of the root directory and then run the code, see below the steps.

pwd

4. showing 

root

5. go back 

cd ..

pwd

7. showing location

/

8. now mount, my code look like this

mount /dev/sbd1 /opt/dell/toolkit/systems

9. run one of the following options, i had a problem with that as well

./opt/dell/toolkit/systems/drm_files/apply_bundles.sh

or without the DOT "." or bothwithout DOT and forward slash "./"

/opt/dell/toolkit/systems/drm_files/apply_bundles.sh
opt/dell/toolkit/systems/drm_files/apply_bundles.sh

Hope it work for you, it successfully update my nics driver that was failing via the USC lifecycle.

but try first before the ISO method to use the system services USC lifecycle method.

click F10 in BIOS login, when you in go to Platform Update >Launch platform update>ftp server> address should be ftp.dell.com>run the update it will check/compare your system with del REPO automatically and list the firmware you need to update. this has worked for me, except the nics driver was failing so i used the ISO method.

Good luck

6 Posts

April 12th, 2018 09:00

Thanks, this solved my problem getting updates to install.

My question is what changed?  These used to work automagically when written to USB thumb drives using "rufus", a tool for writing ISOs to bootable USB drives.  I've used that tool as my go-to for ISOs to USB drives for a couple of years now and haven't had any issues with VMware, Windows and misc. free UNIX systems.

4 Posts

July 20th, 2018 05:00

is this still an issue? (July 2018)

Just downloaded an image for a T320 and wondering if I'm better off burning to DVD rather than writing to USB.

Cheers!

W

December 23rd, 2018 13:00

I'm unable to mount I get 

Mount: special device does not exist.

I've checked it's there and connected but just not able to mount I've tried with usb usb CDROM same issue

4 Posts

May 29th, 2019 09:00

No Events found!