qs-it
6 Indium

Dell OEM Intel X520-DA2 NICs not being recognized in PE R430 server?

I have two Dell OEM'd Intel X520-DA2 SFP+ adapters that have been pulled from a working PowerEdge server, but don't appear to have the Dell firmware properly loaded in their EEPROM.  The sticker on the back of the adapters says that they are DP/N 0F3VKG  so they are definitely the Dell OEM compatible versions of these adapters.

When I use the PowerEdge R430 linux ISO to attempt to update the firmware on the cards, the utility recognizes the adapters, but claims that the installed firmware version is version 0.0.0.   It then attempts to flash the EEPROM, but doesn't appear to succeed, as the next time I run the latest Dell bootable ISO firmware update utility, it still sees the firmware as version 0.0.0 even though it wants to update the firmware to version 17.0.2.

These adapters are going into a system that is going to be an ESXi 6.0 server, so I can't use the Windows driver/firmware update utilities to update the adapters.   Is there any alternative that I can try using to force the firmware update onto these cards?

0 Kudos
3 Replies

RE: Dell OEM Intel X520-DA2 NICs not being recognized in PE R430 server?

Hi,

What model server did they come from? Did the cards work in that system? The part number that you provided was not validated for the R430. When updating from linux you may be able to use the –f command to force it, but it could break the card and doing so would be at your own risk. 

Thanks,
Josh Craig
Dell EMC Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO
0 Kudos
qs-it
6 Indium

I'm not sure what model PE they came from.   Possible a 28xx/29xx model.

What is the Dell P/N required for being compatible with the PowerEdge R430?

0 Kudos

The X520 card we use in the R430 is part number XYT17.

Thanks,
Josh Craig
Dell EMC Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO
0 Kudos