Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 10th, 2012 19:00

Dell PE 1950 - Trying to ID HW Issue - Need Advice

Hi everyone,

I have a Dell Poweredge 1950 II which I am currently running diagnostics for using the following:

• UBCD 5.1.1
  • dell-pediags-win32-2.9.0.267-A00.exe
  • poweredge_1950.pdf
  • Hiren's Boot CD 15.1
  • OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-WIN-7.0.0-4741_A00
  • PC-Doctor Toolkit

I tried this and it wouldn't run on Windows Server 2003 x64 with SP2:

• OpenManageEssentials_v_1_0_1A00

I don't have the F10 Utility Mode and want to install that also, i didn't know about this during the install or the other discs.

Here is the questions I need help with:

How can I fix that, i had to run nLite to make a custom OS disc to complete the install and added the driver on there at that time.

2. How can I troubleshoot the SAS/PERC cards with the hard drives to make sure all those components are functioning correctly?

3. Where can I get the F10 utility for the PE 1950 II and install it to the system I have now?

4. What are the needed tools besides the OpenManage Application that an enterprise business should have installed before going into production?

Sorry for all the questions, here is the reason I've been assigned to this (ERROR we got 2 days in a row):

What can I do as this is a production server I am desperate to fix and am exhausting everything I have here...help!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 10th, 2012 19:00

OpenManage Essentials will not run on 2003 - it requires 2008 or later. You need OpenManage Server Administrator.

F10 can only be installed when using the Dell installation utility (SBUU - Systems Build and Update Utility) to assist with the install.  You wil not have a functioning F10 if you install directly from the OS CD.

1. Not sure what the question is.  nLite (or similar) would be required to install 2003 on a 1950 without a floppy drive.  

2. 32-bit Diagnostics is required for the most thorough tests of the controller and drives.  PEDiags runs inside of Windows, and, while usually acceptable, it is not as thorough as the bootable diags (32-bit Diagnostics).  PEDiagnostics has also been discontinued and replaced by Online Diagnostics.

3. As stated earlier, the Utility Partition (F10) can only be installed with SBUU, Dell's OS installation utility.  You will need to wipe and and reinstall using that to get the Utility Partition.  Also, the Utility Partition is largely unnecessary, as you can run the latest version of the diagnostics from many types of bootable media (network, USB, CD, etc.).

4. OpenManage Server Administrator (OMSA - Managed Node) should be installed on every Dell server.  2003 SP2 must be installed for OMSA to install.  Besides making sure that all drivers and firmware are up to date, there is nothing else "critical" to monitoring a Dell server.

Regarding the "hardware malfunction" blue screen ... did you update all the drivers, starting with the chipset, after installing Windows?  Is the small LCD panel amber or blue?  If amber, what is the  message(s) scrolling across it?  I would open the server and reseat each card (including the riser cards), all cables, and all memory.  Once OMSA is installed, you can go to System and Logs tab to see any hardware log entries.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 10th, 2012 22:00

BIOS:

www.dell.com/.../poweredge-1950

ESM:

RAID Driver:

RAID Firmware:

HDD Firmware:

Be sure to download the Update Package for Microsoft Windows versions.

Another way to update everything would be to use SUU (Server Update Utility):

Be sure to follow the Installation Instructions to create the final ISO, then run it from Windows.

77 Posts

October 10th, 2012 20:00

Thanks THEFLASH1932!

Ok, I will surrender the F10 Utility. I will go ahead as requested and reseat everything inside the PE 1950 II. I did actually get OMSA installed, I have not updated the drivers since the install.

On the small LCD panel it's blue and says the following:

ST: CN32YD1 (Scrolling across)

I was referencing nLite (You showed me that trick afew months ago) in regards to the Firmware issue screenshot, since that driver I added using nLite when i did the initial install but I think you clued me right.

Being I've had to hunt some, can you send me in a few links please to update the SAS card firmware and any other crucial updates?

Again, thank you for explaining all that!! I have saved for my records, and will get OMSA on all our PE servers ASAP!

*goes to do reseating*

77 Posts

October 19th, 2012 22:00

TheFlash1932,

I have tried all the suggested methods of updating drivers,etc.

I finally even compiled the Dell SUU 7.1.0 and got special DVD+R DL Verbatims since Imgburn specifies ONLY that type of media for dual layer to burn that DELL DVD tool. I have set that all up in place and still that error message has been appearing. I've run full diagnostics from both pc doctor to OMSA, and all them are matching showing now no real issues, the hardware is solid now! Thank you for teaching me all this DELL stuff!!!!

I even got them for backup on that server "EaseUS Todo Backup Advanced Server v5.0" for backup/recovery solution.

I applied all the needed fixes like firmware updates,etc

What else left you think that could be causing that, like how could I through the bios before windows OS could I update chipset? Is that possible with DELL equipment? That's the only thing if the SUU disk didn't cover I would have missed I can think of at this point.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 20th, 2012 10:00

The chipset is updated via the BIOS firmware, when such an update exists.

Which error is displaying ... your 'hardware malfunction' message or the 'drivers/firmware out of date'?

If the 'hardware malfunction' message ...

- Do you have any expansion cards in the system?

- You said you ran 'full diagnostics from  ... OMSA' ... are you talking about the bootable 32-bit Diagnostics CD (OMSA does not actually have diagnostics)?

- How often does it stop?

- Is it repeatable while performing some task(s) (backup, file copy, network traffic)?

77 Posts

October 24th, 2012 06:00

Hi again. After much heating debate and troubleshooting,

The client and boss have gotten a new Dell PEIII 1950 and I have followed your info for a proper install this time around.

The hardware malfunction error occurs but I'm sure it's OS related at this point. They have debated with me about this (Client) and I was able to dupe the issue by plugging in my external usb 3.0 and xfer a DVDISO which gave the same screen. Only the riser cards that came with machine are installed. No added PCI-* cards

Can you please give me the link to the 32bi diagnostics CD (Does that work for x64bit systems too?)

The problem has been intermittent but often enough for client to make issue

I'm not sure what they are doing on their end that crashes it since when I checked "Event Logs" on the OS, it just says unexpected error generically. No real indications. From the OSMA,it didn't show anything and I used a few other tools to do my own diagnostics. One I will recommend is PC-Doctor toolkit. That is a great tool for situations like this. At this point, It has already been swapped out and replaced. The upgrades done to the old machine are still there and since I think it was the OS now I've talked boss into putting CentOS and just re-use since there aren't any real hardware issues.

I'm going to label this issue now completed since the hardware was swapped and all the tools online like Hiren's Boot CD, UBCD 5.1.1, SX-Squad MRI , and PC-Doctor all show in comparison positive results ( I didn't use the online tool you mentioned as I was at a colo where machine didn't have internet access as it was blocked toward machine for me)

I see the lcd display screen is blue and the last times error occurred, screen was still blue as well. It has to be the WIndows Server 2003 OS on that machine. ( I had to install that OS again on new machine so we'll see what happens, I hope that is truly the end since things have been rectified with new install process)

Thanks AGAIN!!!! Came to help when I needed it in life most.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 24th, 2012 09:00

32-bit Diagnostics (will create bootable media):

No Events found!