Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 24th, 2019 06:00

Dell PE R630 onboard Sata Controller

Hi all, I’ve got a Dell R630 with a single SATA Controller. I just want to get into the SATA controller to initialize the SATAVdrive/create a volume. How do I do this? When booting I see the CD-rom and SATA drive recognised but there is no CTRL-S option. Also in the BIOS and Lifecycle controller there are no options to configure the drive. I can change the controller to AHCI/ATA/RAID etc. but that’s all. In devices I can see the network cards but not the SATA controller.

9 Posts

May 24th, 2019 15:00

Ah the CTRL-S option only appears when SATA controller is in RAID mode. But then the drive isn't available in ESXi at all.

So I changed is back to AHCI and noticed in VMware that the drive was found. I then just cleared the partition table using VMware and hte drive can now be used as a datastore.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

CTRL-S for what?

What are you trying to do (wasn't super clear - just use a SATA drive as a standalone drive?)? Do you have a slot available on the backplane? Trying to install and OS? Add storage? 

Set SATA to AHCI, NOT RAID.

9 Posts

Hi all, I’ve got a Dell R630 with a single SATA Controller. I just want to get into the SATA controller to initialize the SATAVdrive/create a volume. How do I do this? When booting I see the CD-rom and SATA drive recognised but there is no CTRL-S option. Also in the BIOS and Lifecycle controller there are no options to configure the drive. I can change the controller to AHCI/ATA/RAID etc. but that’s all. In devices I can see the network cards but not the SATA controller.

9 Posts

May 24th, 2019 07:00

I’ve connected a single SATA drive into slot A in the front drive bays for OS. This server has no SAS storage array.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 24th, 2019 08:00

Still unclear. So you have only ONE drive installed, connected to the onboard SATA port, that you want to install Windows to?

Is there a reason you don't just attach the drive to the backplane?

9 Posts

May 24th, 2019 14:00

Sorry, what do you mean by backplane? I’ve installed the drive into the hot swap bays at the front in port A. I want to delete/erase/reinitialize the drive. I want to do this because... I installed Windows on it, it boots fine. I now want ESXi on the SD drives and to use the SATA as a datastore. After ESXi installs when I go to create the datastore in VMware it tells me there is no drive with available space to be used.
No Events found!