Tegron
1 Copper

Dell Power Edge 2950: PCI to USB 3.0 Card

Has anyone installed a PCI to USB 3.0 add on card onto the server running windows 2008 R2? I see that there are just a few available on the market, but I am curious if there are any issues with Hardware compatibility with the Dell server? Any help advice would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Dev Mgr
5 Rhenium

Re: Dell Power Edge 2950: PCI to USB 3.0 Card

I haven't seen anyone try USB 3 on a PowerEdge yet, but on the older servers (pre-USB 2.0), the USB 2.0 cards with the VIA chipset didn't have a good success rate. The cards with an NEC USB2 chip had a better success rate.

I don't know if this also applies to the more modern servers and the USB 3.0 cards, but I wanted to share this experience with the VIA chips on PowerEdge servers as it may help you on your 'trial and error' process.

Member since 2003

0 Kudos
Tegron
1 Copper

Was the issue coming from the Server OS side or the actually detection with the hardware?

0 Kudos
Dev Mgr
5 Rhenium

It was a hardware detection issue (with the USB 2 cards in the pre-USB 2 servers).

Member since 2003

0 Kudos
Tegron
1 Copper

Well after speaking with Dell they are saying that I should just use StarTech's PCE-E USB 3.0 Card so if you have a riser card already in place with PCI-E I guess that the solution once we test it ill post here for future reference which ever way it goes. The Card is a Dell Part# A3337171. For those that may need it, you can get it through various suppliers since its not a DELL product.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HumbleSage
1 Nickel

Tegron, what did you find out with this? Were you able to get the card working in your PE2950? I am curious if I purchase one if it will work in my PE2950 running Windows Server 2003. Thanks. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Tegron
1 Copper

Sorry for the long delay. We did not go through with that project. We decided to go with a different solution, but from what I was able to to pickup if you are in windows server 2003 environment that are products that should work. I just can't confirm which ones since I nevr ordered anything to play around with.

HumbleSage
1 Nickel

Excellent, I'm going to order this card and give it a go. I think I recall someone mentioning the need for a power cable, you wouldn't happen to what this cable is and where I should order it from? Again thanks for your help! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Tegron
1 Copper

The Startech card will work without power cable, but according to the information I found to achieve full 3.0 performance manufacturer recommended to connect the power to the card. but give it a shot without the power cable first.

DellRavi
1 Copper

RE: Dell Power Edge 2950: PCI to USB 3.0 Card

How do I connect power to the card?

There are no power wires coming out of the power supplies.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,                           DellRavi

0 Kudos