Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2011 15:00

Dell Power Edge 2950: PCI to USB 3.0 Card

Has anyone installed a PCI to USB 3.0 add on card onto the server running windows 2008 R2? I see that there are just a few available on the market, but I am curious if there are any issues with Hardware compatibility with the Dell server? Any help advice would be appreciated.

5 Posts

Was the issue coming from the Server OS side or the actually detection with the hardware?

9.3K Posts

I haven't seen anyone try USB 3 on a PowerEdge yet, but on the older servers (pre-USB 2.0), the USB 2.0 cards with the VIA chipset didn't have a good success rate. The cards with an NEC USB2 chip had a better success rate.

I don't know if this also applies to the more modern servers and the USB 3.0 cards, but I wanted to share this experience with the VIA chips on PowerEdge servers as it may help you on your 'trial and error' process.

9.3K Posts

August 11th, 2011 07:00

It was a hardware detection issue (with the USB 2 cards in the pre-USB 2 servers).

5 Posts

August 11th, 2011 09:00

Well after speaking with Dell they are saying that I should just use StarTech's PCE-E USB 3.0 Card so if you have a riser card already in place with PCI-E I guess that the solution once we test it ill post here for future reference which ever way it goes. The Card is a Dell Part# A3337171. For those that may need it, you can get it through various suppliers since its not a DELL product.

13 Posts

January 2nd, 2012 17:00

Tegron, what did you find out with this? Were you able to get the card working in your PE2950? I am curious if I purchase one if it will work in my PE2950 running Windows Server 2003. Thanks. :)

5 Posts

January 11th, 2012 15:00

Sorry for the long delay. We did not go through with that project. We decided to go with a different solution, but from what I was able to to pickup if you are in windows server 2003 environment that are products that should work. I just can't confirm which ones since I nevr ordered anything to play around with.

13 Posts

Excellent, I'm going to order this card and give it a go. I think I recall someone mentioning the need for a power cable, you wouldn't happen to what this cable is and where I should order it from? Again thanks for your help! :)

5 Posts

The Startech card will work without power cable, but according to the information I found to achieve full 3.0 performance manufacturer recommended to connect the power to the card. but give it a shot without the power cable first.

11 Posts

December 31st, 2013 09:00

How do I connect power to the card?

There are no power wires coming out of the power supplies.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,                           DellRavi

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 31st, 2013 10:00

You can't, unless you can somehow steal it from a drive port on the backplane ... it will NOT be plug and play - you will likely need a specific adapter for the job (IF it even puts out enough power for the card) or be an electronics engineer to figure out how to make one.

39 Posts

January 8th, 2014 07:00

Just spoke with Dell (via chat). It is now January 2014, and they say that NONE of their servers are planned to support USB 3. The customer rep on chat was "EB_Patrick G" - The current R505 servers don't have it; and won't have it. EB_Patrick G says "these servers were released before USB 3 is as common as it is now." He said that future servers "may" support USB 3. If Dell does NOT build in support, they will be "behind the curve" and will be limiting their customers. I have a large number of USB 3 devices, none of which I can take full advantage of, unless I use an unsupported 3rd-party product. Not very comforting.

From the chat session, here are the links for Dell's recommended (yet unsupported) third-party Startech USB 3 card (and adapter):

Agent (EB_Patrick G): "http://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/USB-3.0/Cards/4-Port-SuperSpeed-USB-3-PCI-Express-Card-with-SATA-Power~PEXUSB3S4"

Agent (EB_Patrick G): "http://www.startech.com/Cables/Computer-Power/Internal/LP4-to-Latching-SATA-Power-Adapter-Cable~LP4LSATAADAP"

Obviously, you would have to have an available/unused internal SATA power cable for this, coming from your 2950 or Rnnn power supply. So, anyone in the know, how would we accomplish that? Would we "split" a cable with a power splitter, if we have all our internal cables in use?

No Events found!