Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

April 7th, 2008 16:00

Dell PowerEdge 2650 noise - again ;o)

Yes, I've read now several FAQs, threads and advices about how to keep the noise level of a PE2650 low. But I didn't become really smarter. I did all the updates but still the server is simply too loud. My fans run at: 4740, 4740, 7140, 7200, 7320, 7380, 7320 RPM.

Is there really no chance to lower that RPM??? For me this doesn't seem as a smart tempurature regulation if the fans are always "near" full power.

My plan is now to replace the fans (no fear - I have no warrenty anymore ;)) with low-RPM fans but I saw in the sensors stats that the minimum limits are also very high. Is there somehow an option to reduce those limits? There are now fans with about 2200RPM (with 16db!) that get 30m³/h out of the case - and 7 of them I think would be enough to keep temperature at a normal level. Are there any people out there who have experience in changing fans in a PE2650? Does anybody have tipps? Is there some vendor where I can buy those fan-poweradapters? Every help appreciated - thank you in advance.

August 20th, 2008 15:00

@BBQigniter. Your summary is fantastic. I'm sure it will help some people. Thank you for your efforts and sharing.

August 20th, 2008 15:00

I've been meaning to post back to this thread for some time.

Yes, in the end I did fit the Akasa AK-192BKT fans.  It was pretty straight forward and a cheap option.  The results have been pretty good.  They appear to keep the machine at a reasonable temperature all the time.

However the noise is still a problem, especially when the machine is working hard.  I would guess that at it's loudests, it's probably half the dB of the unmodified machine.   When it's cool and not under any load, the the noise is less again, however it's still not really quiet enough to work in the same room as it.

In summary I would say the Akasa AK-192BKT fans eliminate the need for earmuffs, but the noise level is still such that the machine really needs to be in another room.

To quiet the machine down any further then I would think BBQigniter's solution (including powersupply fans) is the only option.

I wish now I had of just bought a powerful desktop. 

No Events found!