Highlighted
yamezbond
1 Copper

Dell PowerEdge 2950 with diferent HD sizes?

Jump to solution

I currently have a Dell PowerEdge 2950 Server with 4 HD 450GB RAID5 configured and Win 2012 R2.  I have some spare 146GB HD's doing nothing and wonder if I can add 2 of them to the server and increase the size on my RAID5.  I have PERK 6i controller.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

RE: Dell PowerEdge 2950 with diferent HD sizes?

Jump to solution

Hello yamezbond

No, you won't be able to add drives smaller than 450GB to the current RAID 5 array. You can add any drive 450GB or larger to the array(within controller limitations; which on the PERC 6 is 2TB), but it will only use 450GB of the drive.

What you could do with those 146GB HDDs is create a new array.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos
theflash1932
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Windows can't do anything with the disks, UNLESS you install OpenManage Server Administrator.  You can also do it in the PERC (Poweredge Expandable Raid Controller) configuration utility (CTRL-R).

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Jump to solution

Hello yamezbond

No, you won't be able to add drives smaller than 450GB to the current RAID 5 array. You can add any drive 450GB or larger to the array(within controller limitations; which on the PERC 6 is 2TB), but it will only use 450GB of the drive.

What you could do with those 146GB HDDs is create a new array.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos
yamezbond
1 Copper

Jump to solution

So that means I can still use those hard drives on my server... good, so the question now is after plug it in the disks how I create the new array, through Windows Server or I have to go to the PERK controller and create it there?

Thanks fr replying!

0 Kudos
theflash1932
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Windows can't do anything with the disks, UNLESS you install OpenManage Server Administrator.  You can also do it in the PERC (Poweredge Expandable Raid Controller) configuration utility (CTRL-R).

0 Kudos