Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 12th, 2016 06:00

Dell PowerEdge 6950 Won't Boot to POST

Good morning all!

I was recently provided a Dell PowerEdge 6950 from my employer to use for MCSE training and as a general testing server, as they no longer had use for it.  I tried to upgrade the memory from 16GB to 64GB and was getting a system error on the display of E2110 MB error on some of the DIMM's.  I tried to swap them around to correct the error a couple times.  But now, even with the original DIMM's back in the system, I can't the system to boot to POST.  Just looking for any assistance that can be provided.

Thank you.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 12th, 2016 15:00

Hello.

Attempt bringing the system to minimum to POST configuration with the following components:

• System board.
  • Processors (with heatsinks) in socket 1 and socket 2.
  • One stick of memory in slot 2.
  • One power supply.
  • Control panel and backplane (to turn on system).
  • Power distribution board.

Ensure that all peripheral devices including keyboard and mouse are disconnected.

3 Posts

September 12th, 2016 18:00

I was able to resolve this by flushing the NVRAM and then booting normally.  Now I'm having a whole new issue trying to get ESXI installed where it get's to where it's about to start the installer, and the system reboots.  And I'm now getting an E171F error about PCIe slot 3, which has nothing plugged into it.  So I'm on a whole new troubleshooting issue.  Thank you for the follow up though.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 13th, 2016 08:00

Hello.

Flushing system NVRAM would be our next step. Ensure that the system BIOS and BMC firmware is up to date. Try re-seating the PCIe cards including the controller card and clear the system event logs and reboot. What version of ESXi are you installing?

3 Posts

September 14th, 2016 05:00

BIOS is up to the latest available from Dell.  Reseated everything, including the RAM, as I'm still getting the E2110 messages, though it's seeing all the RAM in the system.  I started with the latest ESXI, but after doing some research, found that it wasn't the compatible version, so I downloaded the recovery installer from Dell of version 5.1U3, but that's still giving me the same results.  I'm now at a bit of a loss.  it gets to the starting the gui for the installer, and then reboots.  

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 14th, 2016 08:00

Consider clearing the system event logs. The only Vmware OS I have found validated to run on this server is ESX 3.0.1 and your version of ESXi is not supported. Use supported operating system.

No Events found!