Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

December 15th, 2017 14:00

Dell PowerEdge R620 won't boot with E5-2687W v2 CPU's. CPU voltage error

I've tried 2 different sets of CPU's and gotten the same error. I returned the first set, but when the second set gave the exact same errors, I thought there might be an issue with the server, not the CPU's. 

These are the errors it gives, in this order. Pull from idrac log. 

CPU 1 VCORE PG voltage is outside of range.

CPU 2 VCORE PG voltage is outside of range. 

CPU 2 VCORE PG voltage is outside of range. (occurs a few seconds after the first 2 errors)

CPU 2 VCORE PG voltage is outside of range.

and finally:

The system board fail-safe voltage is outside of range.

Nothing ever shows on the screen, all firmware is up to date, including the bios (2.5.4). 

This server works perfect fine with my current dual E5-2660 v1 cpu's. Dell's documentation says these v2 cpu's are supported, so what gives? Bad motherboard? i'm running the largest dual 1100W power supplies, so it shouldn't be an issue of not enough power. I'm out of warranty, otherwise I'd have dell diagnose. I can buy a new Motherboard for $130, but wanted to try and see if anyone knew with confidence why this doesn't work. 

Thanks in advance. 

BIOS Version 2.5.4
Firmware Version 2.50.50.50

• 

6.2K Posts

December 15th, 2017 16:00

Hello

I'm out of warranty, otherwise I'd have dell diagnose

Even if you were in warranty this is not something that would be covered by warranty support. You installed an unsupported processor into the server.

i'm running the largest dual 1100W power supplies, so it shouldn't be an issue of not enough power.

That is not how CPU power works. There is a voltage regulator module built into the system board that regulates power to the CPU. That is the limiting factor on the available wattage to the CPU, installing larger power supplies or having headroom will not increase the wattage available to the CPU.

I show that the E5 2687w is a 150w CPU. The highest wattage CPU that I show validated for the R620 is 135w. That is likely why it is not in my list of validated CPUs for the R620.

Thanks

8 Posts

December 15th, 2017 19:00

Thank you! This reason makes sense, and I had that fear in the back of my mind, but as I looked through all of the online dell documentation, nothing ever mentioned this 135W limit. It just said V1 and V2 were supported in the R620. I wish that was better documented. It would have saved me days of time buying 4 CPU, returning them, days of diagnosing and troubleshooting, etc. 

So, i'm going to now try to use E5-2690 v2 SR1A5 CPU's. Should these work? I show them as 130W CPU's. 

• 

6.2K Posts

December 20th, 2017 08:00

E5-2690 v2 SR1A5 CPU's. Should these work? I show them as 130W CPU's.

The E5 2690 V2, 130w, at M1 stepping is validated

The E5 2690, 135w, at C0 and C2 stepping is also validated

Thanks

4 Posts

December 3rd, 2018 08:00

Dear Moderator. We have the same problem with E5-2687w v2 on R620. Also have read the information on Dell website regarding R620 support processors family. https://www.dell.com/support/article/rs/ru/rsdhs1/sln308799/poweredge-servers-supported-processors-cpus-and-where-to-find-technical-specifications-?lang=en . Now the question is the following. Please answer will R630 support E5-2687w v2? If possible, please kindly answer what server models will support E5-2687w v2 processors. Kind regards.
No Events found!