Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 26th, 2017 11:00

Dell PowerEdge R715 - Receiving: Installed Memory Configuration is Not Optimal - Error Message

All of the RAM is being identified by the server, but this message continues to pop up, forcing someone to physically be at the server during the time of a power cycle in order to get the system up. This is causing us issues with automatic updates and server restarts. I've attached information regarding the memory configuration. How can I remove the required F1 strike to continue with boot?

-Running Windows Server 2008 R2

Thanks,

12 Posts

October 26th, 2017 13:00

Daniel,

I've added memory to my server and am receiving the same error.

Attached is my current configuration, please advise.

• 

6.2K Posts

October 26th, 2017 15:00

Hello

The memory needs to be installed in matched pairs at minimum. You need 2 more of the 8GB modules to have a valid configuration.

8GB modules in slots: 1,2
2GB modules in slots: 3,4,5,6

The only supported configuration for your current modules would be:

2GB modules in slots: 1,2,3,4

Also, there should be a stop on error option in the BIOS to remove the need to press F1.

Thanks

12 Posts

October 26th, 2017 16:00

Prior to installing the (2) 8gb sticks I was using all (8) 2GB sticks to give it 16GB total rather than the 32 it currently has. If the pairing was the reason for the message why would it have originally generated when I was using 4 pairs of matching RAM to begin with?

12 Posts

November 1st, 2017 16:00

I had your "supported configuration" initially and was receiving the same error with the server recognizing all of the RAM.

Also, Where can I find documentation regarding the stop on error option in the BIOS to remove the need to press F1.

• 

6.2K Posts

November 2nd, 2017 10:00

Where can I find documentation regarding the stop on error option in the BIOS to remove the need to press F1.

It is on page 59 of the manual.

www.dell.com/support/home/product-support/product/poweredge-r715/

No Events found!