Highlighted

Re: Dell PowerEdge R810 Server SSD Configuration

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly, but you installing another PCIe adapter to communicate with the drive, and would like to initialize the drives?

Well, if yes, then that will depend if the card is compatible with the server, if it isn't, iDRAC or OMSA won't be able communicate with the card. You will need to access to the card's BIOS and use it's proprietary system to initialize the drives.

Thanks,
Joey Chong
Dell EMC Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

PowerEdge R810 Server SSD Configuration

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply! The thing is, I am not positive if the thing I want to do is possible. I have a single storage - the NVMe SSD installed in PCIe express slot. No SATA at all. I was able to run installer and install the ESXi onto that disk but it will never boot from there. 

In the meantime, I was able to install the Esxi also on iDRAC SD card, boot from there and then (!) attach the storage Nvme card and deploy my VMs on it. 

I hope I explained what is my goal. I am not sure that if I had PERC 700 for internal raid, access to the ctrl+R and create the virtual RAID 0, and run basically only single disk server, ID that would be a viable solution. I would prefer not install the main purpose OS on the iDRAC SD card.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: PowerEdge R810 Server SSD Configuration

Jump to solution

Hi,

The server is unable to support boot from PCIe for this generation. Only the latest generation would be able to.

H700, based on documentation, it's able to support RAID 0 with 1 drive configuration. 

Do let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Joey Chong
Dell EMC Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

PowerEdge R810 Server SSD Configuration

Jump to solution

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate that! That's all I needed to know about NVMe. So basically Gen 11 does not support booting OS from it but it works fine for storage VMFS disk where my VMs are attached. Booting is possible from the dual SD or even from iDRAC SD slot. It works just fine for virtual lab host, I don't need any mechanical disks for storage.

0 Kudos