Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2014 01:00

Dell PowerEdge R900 E1211 ROMB Batt, faulty disk?

Hi,

Yesterday i found my server remounted the filesystem in read-only, i was unable to create new files/directories and getting errors like "/sbin/fdisk: Input/output error" I went to the server and saw following error message on the display: "E1211 ROMB Batt".

Since i couldn't do a thing, i restarted the server and the warning message disappeared. All went well until the raid was loaded, the server didn't resume the boot and just did nothing, no error messages. I tried rebooting and pressing F2 to go in the setup, pressing ctrl + R to go in raid configuration and starting with a live cd but it just stopped after loading the RAID (and finding the drives). If i looked at the LED's on my disks in the first 2 bays (1 disk: the OS / 2 disk: a mirror of the OS) were blinking good (normal yellow) but the 3th ( used as an extra storage) was blinking yellow - orange - yellow - orange ...

Because i couldn't think of anything else i removed the disk and tried to restart again, without that disk the server booted without any problems. 

Could it be because of the E1211 ROMB Batt that the server won't boot with that disk in it or is it just the disk that is faulty?

Regards,

Reignfire

• 

8.4K Posts

February 7th, 2014 05:00

Reignfire,

It could be a few things. The first thing I wold check is the controllers driver and firmware. Are they current? If the controller is very out of date on firmware then it can cause false battery errors. In regards to the drive it sounds like it may be faulty. Do you have OpenManage Server Admin installed, if so is the drive showing up as a Predicted Failure? If not then I would update the server, see if battery issue is resolved and then try a rebuild on the drive. If it fails then replace it.

Driver - http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/poweredge-r900?driverId=GHNKT&osCode=WNET&fileId=3000719987&languageCode=en&categoryId=SF

Perc 6/i Firmware -  http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/poweredge-r900?driverId=F96NR&osCode=WNET&fileId=3181352147&languageCode=en&categoryId=SF

Let me know how it goes.

No Events found!