Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 30th, 2012 14:00

Dell PowerEdge SC1425 Questions

Hi guys,

I am thinking of grabbing one of the Poweredge SC1425 Servers off of a website I know however there are some questions which I'm curious about before I do.

The server which I was proposing the SC1425 to replace is the Poweredge 2650 which I have at the moment with Dual 2.2GHz Xeon Processors, 3GB RAM and 3 x 36GB SCSI Drives.

The only thing is, I can't find very much on this server and I had to enter a service tag for it into the Dell Drivers page to even find it as it wasn't listed in the Dell Products page.

• How does/should the SC1425 perform in comparison to the 2650? The 2650 I have at the moment is apparently as much use as a paper weight due to its power usage and poor CPU abilities (Not 64-bit, low cache.etc). Its also coming up to 10 years old, being manufactured in 2002.
  • What is the largest SATA hard drive which the SC1425 can take per SATA port and in total? I've read it used to get shipped with 500GB drives, but I've heard some people have managed to get 1TB drives working with the integrated controller. Also the datasheet I found doesn't state 500GB at all (Click Here).
  • The only latest drivers I can see listed on the SC1425 page are ones for Windows Server 2003 and 2003 x64; do these work with Windows Server 2008 R2?
Thanks for your answers

• 

8.4K Posts

May 30th, 2012 15:00

Chrisszzyy,

The SC1425 was designed as a low cost alternative for very small companies without a lot of traffic.

The 2650 was one of the most adaptable servers of its time, but as you stated is out of date.

Depending on what you need the server for, it can go either way.

Now to answer your questions.

The largest offered drive is the 500GB Hitachi Kurofune 2 SATA drive, part number 7U504.

The 1TB drive is not listed as supported for the Cerc controller (can't be = to or exceed 1TB),

but when a disk is used it is not showing as 1TB, it comes to about 970GB due to MBR and array data. So it should work.

The SC1425 does support 2k8 at all,you can try the drivers for 2003, but I don't think it will install.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 30th, 2012 21:00

The CERC is not supported on 2008 at all, so if you are going to try to install it on an SC1425, then you will need to make sure the integrated/onboard RAID is turned OFF (set to ATA in the BIOS).  There may be a good reason it is not supported, so it still may or may not work.

Unless your SC1425 is free, I probably wouldn't consider it a worthwhile upgrade.  I believe it is only a year or two newer, and it can't do much more (although adding 64-bit and SATA-I capability might be enough for you).  Other than those two things, it doesn't offer much more than the 2650.  Just my opinion, but I'd go with possibly a new or refurb 1950 - cheap (by now), supports SATA/SAS (with hardware RAID), supports dual and quad core processors, and supports all the management features that SC servers don't/can't.

No Events found!