Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 24th, 2015 14:00

Dell PowerEdge T110 - solid green light on motherboard, no other lights, doesn't boot

Hi,

My Dell PowerEdge T110 went down earlier today, and now won't start again.

It has a solid green light on the motherboard, but pressing the power switch does nothing - no fans, no drives, no video, no front panel indicators or lights.

I've tried removing the memory, cards, CPU, even re-seated the front panel ribbon cable - no change.

The iDRAC 6 doesn't seem to be responding (I don't use it, so have tried the 192.168.0.120 IP - no response). I've also tried to move the NVRAM_CLR jumper, but I guess without powering up this doesn't do anything.

If the light on the board was amber or flashing I'd assume a problem - but green suggests all is well with both the power and the board? 

Could I actually just have a faulty front panel? Is there any way to get it to boot without the button?

Any suggestions would be appreciated - thanks!

Edward.

• 

8.4K Posts

March 25th, 2015 05:00

Emelco,

The Front Panel may be the issue. I would start by testing the server with the minimum hardware required to start. I know you said you tried removing memory and things, but have you take to this configuration yet? Minimum to Post is removing everything from the server but the following;

• CPU.
  • Heatsink for CPU for prevention of over-heating.
  • System Board.
  • PSU.
  • Front panel (to power system ON).
  • 1 DIMM for CPU. 

Try taking the server to this configuration and try powering up. If it still doesn't then one of the listed parts above are causing the issue. Do you happen to have another T110 we could test with the known good parts?

Let me know what you see.

2 Posts

March 25th, 2015 06:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response - I've just tried the exact configuration you've suggested here (with different DIMMs too, just incase), but unfortunately again no change.

I don't have another T110, but have ordered a new power supply today so I can at least eliminate one of the above. 

If you have any other tests I could try, please let me know.

Thanks again,

Edward.

1 Message

August 25th, 2019 01:00

Emelco, did you ever figure out what the issue was? Was it the front panel? I've recently been given a T110 with the exact same issue and would like to get it up an running again. Thanks,

3 Posts

December 22nd, 2020 05:00

Aelie,

Were you ever able to get your T110 to power up?  I just encountered the same issue with my PowerEdge and was wondering if anyone has found the solution.  I don't mind purchasing a new PS, but if that won't fix it, I would prefer not to change it.

Thanks,

Mike.

2.9K Posts

December 22nd, 2020 07:00

Hello mpent,

Just stopping by to say that we saw your reply. If you specifically are curious about Aelie's case that's certainly fine. If you'd like us to assist in troubleshooting on your case, I'm more than happy to do so. My only request would be that you create a new thread. 

No Events found!