Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

9 Posts

May 11th, 2022 06:00

Dell PowerEdge r740 power supply configuration for 2 GPUs

Hi, 

I would be thankful to have your guidance in installing two GPUs in a r740 server.

Currenlty, we have an NVIDIA Titan RTX installed in riser 2 of our r740 server. That GPU requires 2x 8-pin power connectors and 300 W (as described in the titan rtx specs). Hence, the titan rtx is using both "backplane 0" and "backplane 2" power connectors, as described in the r740 manual (Figure 141: item 21 and 22).  

Now, we would like to install an Nvidia RTX A5000 in riser 3. That GPU has 1 8-pin power connector and requires 230W board power (as described in the A500 specs

Is it safe to use one "PCIe 6-pin to 2x 8-pin" power cable that connects to either backplane 0 or 2 and that supplies both the Titan RTX and the RTX A5000? We noticed that the power output from the r740 system board is 225W.

If it is possible, could you point us to a part number for the power cable?

Thank you very much in advance.

• 

3.3K Posts

May 11th, 2022 08:00

Hello danfper,

This resource should be helpful: GPU or ACLR card installation guidelines  Page 100

https://dell.to/3w1Saw8

NOTE: When using systems with GPU, ensure that you install PSUs with 1100 W or higher, and set the PSU configuration

to non-redundant mode.

You need the GPU enablement kit. These should be the part number you can check with sales for quote.

GPU Enablement Kit part numbers:

PN# 330-BBMO  (US part number)

PN# 490-BEIX (Europe part number)

GPU Enablement Kit Includes two 1U Heatsinks, six HP Fans, three GPU power cables and All needed Risers to support GPU's-risers 1A for DW. 1D for SW. 2A and 3A are used in both configs.

I will note that we have not validated the NVIDIA Titan RTX, or Nvidia RTX A5000 on the R740.  Maybe other community members have tried them and can share their experience.

Certified NVIDIA GPU's : https://dell.to/39bNSJI

9 Posts

May 16th, 2022 05:00

Thank you for your response. 

We seem to have everything listed in the development kit and the PSU. We are missing the GPU power cables.

Could you please specify a part number for the GPU cables to connect the two GPUs (considering that one of the GPUs requires to be supplied by two 8-pin pcie cables)?

Thank you very much for your prompt response.

• 

3.2K Posts

May 16th, 2022 06:00

Hi,

the Part number is 0TR5TP.

Regards Martin

• 

8.4K Posts

May 16th, 2022 07:00

Danfper,

The two supported cables for the GPU in the R740 is TR5TP, which you were discussing. The second is part # 4VPD3 (shown below), which looks like what you need. 

ViewPic.jpg

Let me know if this helps.

9 Posts

May 16th, 2022 07:00

Hi, 

The one you specified is a 6-pin to 6-pin+8-pin cable. 

As I specified above, one of the GPUs requires to be connected to the two power connectors of the server. 

So: 

• GPU 1 (2x 8-pin): connected to both "backplane 0" and "backplane 2"
  • GPU 2 (1x 8-pin): connected to either "backplane 0" or "backplane 2"

Hence, we would need at least one cable that is 6-pin to double 8-pin. 

What would be the part number for that cable? 

If you don't have it, could you forward me a suitable alternative?

Thank you.

• 

8.4K Posts

May 16th, 2022 08:00

Danfper,

I am not seeing a part available in your region, likely due to being based in the US, so I would recommend contacting your regional sales and verify availability. As far as the GPU and cable installation, page 103 here starts to walkthrough the process.

9 Posts

May 16th, 2022 08:00

Hi, 

Thank you. I'm in Sweden (Europe) and cannot find that part number in the dell website. 

Is this the corresponding cable for my region? https://dell.to/3sEfqhr  

As I understand, it would act as an extension power cable, connecting the 6-pin from the TR5TP to the 6-pin from the 4VPD3, and the 8-pin from the 4VPD3 to the GPU, correct?

1 Message

January 18th, 2023 16:00

Danfper, 

I want to put two A5000 in my Dell R740.  Did this work for you?  It looks like I need the GPU Kit and the power adapter.  Any other issues?

Brandon

9 Posts

January 19th, 2023 12:00

Hi Brandon, 

I currently have a Titan RTX and an A5000 installed in my R740 and they have been running flawless for the past months. 

I'm unsure which specific kit you would need, since there was already one in my organization and I haven't procured anything from the things mentioned in this thread. 

Cheers

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

January 19th, 2023 18:00

You can refer below link for requirements for connecting GPU on PowerEdge R740. 

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/poweredge-r740/per740_ism_pub/gpu-or-aclr-card-installation-guidelines?guid=guid-a5705a74-16a9-4867-9d6f-be14814dcdf5&lang=en-us 

Please note A5000 is not a supported GPU on PowerEdge R740. Not supported does not mean it will not work. As it is not supported it is not validated, hence we can not guarantee that it will work. 

No Events found!