Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2017 06:00

Dell Poweredge R420 iDRAC Fault

HI!

I have two Dell Poweredge R420 which bot fails during boot in the process Initializing idrac...

They have both worked fine until i wanted to update from ESXi 5.5 to ESXi 6.5. After they restarted they could'nt finish the initializing iDRAC process which causes both servers to run their Fans at full speed. I have tried searching for solutions online and all i have tried so far have been without sucess. I have checked this post out: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/956/t/19507018 

So i have tried resetting idrac without success and tried to drain the system. Beside that i read that it could be an idea to buy a new motherboard but i just want to make sure that i have tried all solutions before having to use any money. 

Right now i am trying to install Dell OpenManage on the server, but i have no idea if it works.

If there is a way to just disable or deactivate iDRAC completely it is preffered. I dont need to have the option to use iDRAC i just want to reduce the fan noise/fans running full speed. But if i wish to reduce the fans i also need to enter iDRAC which i cant. 

• 

8.5K Posts

December 14th, 2017 09:00

Hi,

There is not a way to disable the idrac. Will it let you update the iDRAC firmware?

5 Posts

December 14th, 2017 23:00

Maybe but i dont know how to update the iDRAC firmware.

Currently it is iDRAC version 1.65.65.04

Thanks for the quick response

• 

8.5K Posts

December 15th, 2017 07:00

For an esxi system the best way is to respository manager to create a bootable image. http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/w/wiki/1767.dell-emc-repository-manager-drm

5 Posts

December 17th, 2017 23:00

Hey Josh :)

i tried downloading the DRM and making a bootable image but under the process it gives me this error "Failed exporting to Bootable ISO." Beside that it failed when i tried downloading the iDRAC with Lifecycle v2.50.50.50 but i guess that there is a way to download an older version and uploading it to the DRM.

Thanks again for your replies! Big thanks

5 Posts

December 18th, 2017 00:00

Update. I tried downloading a other iDRAC file this time version 2.30.30.30 but it shows up as a non-dup file and can't be used to create a bootable ISO image. What do i do about that? 

I tried creating a ISO without idrac but it gives me this error when i try booting with BIOS or UEFI what can i do about it? :)

No Events found!