Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 17th, 2022 06:00

Dell Poweredge T320 - New SAS (Boot) drive

Hi,

The os/boot drive on my T320 just failed, so I purchased another and swapped them (identical SAS drives).  When I boot up and go to reinstall the OS windows is having a hard time preparing the drive.  It takes a long, long time to partition (300GB drive) and then comes back with the 3 partitions but won't let me install or format the main one.  It will however let me create the partitions again and again - so then I end up with 5, 7, 9 etc - very odd.  All the time there is a beeping sound coming from the server (quiet) but the front panel remains blue.

I was able to delete all the partitions and try again, but still no joy.

Given that it took upwards of 5 minutes to partition the drive.  Do you think the new drive is faulty or the server or?

Sorry for all the vagueness but any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

James.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 17th, 2022 09:00

"Identical" ... identical model number or identical Dell part number?

If you matched model but it's not a Dell-certified version / firmware, that could explain it.

If you did match the Dell part number (certified firmware), then I'd say it sounds like it may just be a bad drive. You may check the firmware to see if there is an update for it - if super old and your controller has newer firmware (or vice versa, which I would hope wouldn't be the case), then that could also explain it.

2 Posts

March 17th, 2022 12:00

Thanks! It is a genuine Dell SAS drive same part number.  So maybe firmware update.

No Events found!