Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 14th, 2018 17:00

Dell Poweredge T640 having IP and connection issues

So we just bought a brand new Dell Poweredge T640. We bought it with the BOSS card, about 32 TBs, 64 GB RAM, Gold processor, the works. So anyway, I am having an issue getting out to the internet or doing anything with this machine. I cannot remote into it, and it will not go out to the internet. I plug into the iDrac and I am able to get to that just fine, but when I plug an ethernet into either of the NIC's, it will detect it but will tell me there is no internet access. I have set a static IP, and it still doesn't connect. Remote desktop is enabled. Everything you normally do with a server has been done. The weird part is that I went into the add roles feature to go ahead and put in the hyper-v role, and even though there is a static IP, it shows that it's IP is 169.254.X.X which means it is not actually picking up it's IP address. What the heck am I missing here? This is my first time working with a BOSS controller, so I am not sure if that is the issue, but I am doubting it. This machine simply will not change its IP address. Even with DHCP enabled, ipconfig still just shows 169.254.X.X. Again, it detects that it has something connected, but it just will not do anything. Yes, drivers are up to date and existent.

• 

6.2K Posts

June 15th, 2018 09:00

Hello

The BOSS card should not affect the network controllers ability to obtain a DHCP address or link with a switch. The T640 has multiple network options, the LOM is 10Gb, and they may not be capable of negotiating a speed with your switch. I suggest reviewing the specifications of the network controller that you are using and your switch. This is likely a link negotiation or switch configuration issue.

http://www.dell.com/support/

Thanks

June 15th, 2018 16:00

It is just the base network card that comes with the server, "On-Board Dual-Port 10GbE LOM". The switch it is plugged into is just an unmanaged basic switch, nothing special about it. Like I said, it detects it has a connection, but no matter what, I cannot get to it from outside and it cannot get out to anything else on the network. It is sitting in my office behind my chair, and I am just trying to get it configured. Just for gits and shiggles, I plugged it straight into the switch that our TZ300 sonicwall is plugged into (also an unmanaged switch) and it doesn't get anything either. This shouldn't be this complicated. The idrac port works just fine, gets it IP and I can get to it fine. Am I missing a setting or configuration somewhere?

June 15th, 2018 17:00

Nevermind, I see what you are saying now, I just looked at the switch here on my desk I was using as well as the other switch, both of them are only 10, 100 switches. The NIC card requires a minimum 1000 because it only negotiates 1000, 10GB. I pulled out a small 10, 100, 1000 switch and plugged it in and now it works fine. Appreciate it. Gonna have to upgrade that other switch as well then.

10 Posts

December 29th, 2020 12:00

What if it is connected to a Gigabit switch and doing the same thing as the original post?

2.9K Posts

December 29th, 2020 13:00

Hello,

If you would like technical engagement from one of us, I would request that you create a new thread detailing your issue and any troubleshooting steps you've taken. Your issue is likely different to the OP's issue, even if you are experiencing similar symptoms. 

The community at large is obviously more than welcome to respond here directly, of course.

No Events found!