Hi Dell Support,

I purchased a R7425 with the following specs recently:

2 X AMD EPYC 32 CORE 7551 2.0GHZ 64MB L3 CACHE PROCESSORS
24 X 2.5 INCH SFF DRIVE BAYS, UP TO 8NVME
PERC H740P 8GB NV CACHE RAID CONTROLLER
IDRAC9 EXPRESS
BROADCOM 5720 1GB QUAD PORT NETWORK DAUGHTER CARD
2 X 1100W POWER SUPPLIES

I tried to utilizing 4x Samsung 970 EVO NVME drives but they never link (the green LEDs in the front constantly blink as if the drives are trying to link but do not).

Is there something specific that needs to be done in order for the drives to be recognized? I have tested against a workstation and there are no issues with the drive being seen. I am using a m.2 adapter (single NVME) in the 2.5" front plane. I have tried the NVME only and flex-ports. All have the same issue.

I have Samsung 860 EVO SSDs that have no issues being detected and setup. Is there something specific I need to do the configuration for the NVME? I checked in the H740 and S140 configuration but neither detect the NVME drives.

Is there any specific adapters that Dell prefers for NVME drives? My guess is there is some issue around the adapter(s).

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Dell R7425 and Samsung 970 EVO NVMe drives

Hello,

this is a strange behaviour, did you check if the PERC firmware is up to date?

Thanks
Marco

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi Marco,

I have updated the PERC firmware and still have the same issues. The drives do not appear in the BIOS or in iDrac or on Exsi.

I also upgraded the BIOS to the most recent version just to be safe.

Any other ideas? The adapters that I purchased are m.2 adapters. Should they be m.2 or u.2? I'm not sure what else to do here. All other drives (non-nvme) work fine.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

DivTS,

I believe the underlying issue is based on compatibility, this is due to the drives not appearing to be listed as supported. I won't be due to it being an m.2 or a u.2, as the R7425 has both types listed as supported.

Let me know if this helps.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

@DELL-Chris H can you please point me into the direction (documentation) of supported NVME drives as of today?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi,

You probably can refer to this 2.5 NVMe drive user guide: https://dell.to/2BnShbY

Do let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Joey Chong
Dell EMC Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

That only gives me supported operating systems and other NVME specific information. I guess there is no official list that is being managed for supported / certified NVME drives?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

DivTS,

You can find ones that are offered from Dell here. If you let me know if you have a size and form factor preference, I can also provide part numbers. 

If you are wanting a list of every supported drives for the server, we don't have access to one.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos