Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 7th, 2012 11:00

Dell T410 system fan replacement

Hi everyone,

While I'm generally very satisfied with my T410, I'd like to replace the current system fan by something a little less loud considering that I only use low-power components in my server.

On the server itself, the fan (a 120x35mm monster) bears a P/N of: AFC1212DC but I couldn't find a reference to its manufacturer and hence a list of compatible fans..

Any ideas/hints/pointers?

Thanks,

Vincent

548 Posts

June 8th, 2012 00:00

I have yet to modify my (non production) server and resolve the fan noise but from what i gather it's not a simple matter of just changing the standard high speed fans to some slower speed fans. This is because cooling management is handled by the BMC which may see the new fans spin below a minimum threshold thus forcing a max fan speed condition which defeats the reason for changing to slower quiet fans ! So it seems there are some thresholds that need to be modified within the BMC firmware at the same time as modifying the wiring/plug of your newly purchased replacement fans, all before placing them into service in your now modded non production server..

If you feel up to the challenge and don't mind modified firmware, loss of warranty, possible cooling and stability issues, then have a look at these sites: How to Make a Dell PowerEdge Quieter and How to adjust the fan threshold of a PowerEdge.

Though the above sites are for different systems than yours, the principles are likely the same. But as always, the term 'caveat emptor' must apply !

I have such mods on my to do list but due to other priorities, they are on the back burner at the moment :)

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

June 10th, 2012 09:00

If you want to replace the fans.....

Most server fans have 3 to 4 leads, two for power, others for sensor leads. If you go to Digi-key ( generally fair priced) or other major electronic component supplier they will have many fans to choose from. You will need to match up the size, voltage, rpm, number of lead wires and approx. CFM. Generally the fans ordered from a supply house do not come with the connector, so you will need to buy/install them  or cut the connectors off the old fans and attach to the new fans; easy, you just need to solder/insulate the leads. The most important parameter, as to noise, is to get a lower Db (decibel) level fan. the lower the Db the better, as long as the rpm is the same as the old fan. Generally the lower the Db, the better the quaility and the higher the price. I replace fans in servers fairly often, I generally purchase twice the amount of fans at one time for a given server model as the process is time consuming (relative to what I can charge a client for the process) , and the fans are cheaper in quanity. Fans are relatively inexpensive. so it is well worth spending more for lower Db fans; since the quaility is generally higher, they will not need to be replaced as often. Purchasing fans from computer suppliers is generally 2-6 times the price.

Your present fan.....

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?lang=en&mpart=AFC1212D-F00&vendor=603&cur=USD

http://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/afc-series/314

Digi-key....

http://www.digikey.com/?gclid=CKTDuJT_w7ACFUcb6wodHk6jkg&WT.term=digi-key&WT.mc_id=Brand&WT.medium=cpc&WT.campaign=Brand&WT.content=text&WT.srch=1&WT.source=google&cshift_ck=5F3986F7-CAC4-4BA3-81E0-53C3D47B179AcsJVzb78cq

Digihttp://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?wt.z_header=search_go&lang=en&keywords=fan%2012v%204%20lead&x=0&y=0&cur=USDkey search...

Connectors.....

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDrillDownView?rf=1&history=dkfhowoc%7CsubCategoryName%7EInterconnects%5Ecategory%7E30%5EcategoryName%7Ecategory_root%5EprodPage%7E15%5Epage%7ESEARCH%252BNAV&position=16&refine=1&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&storeId=10001

Connector with leads, check if connectors are the same...

http://www.xsfans.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=533

I just check 4 lead fan pricing, these are not cheap, and the search will time consuming.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 7th, 2012 11:00

Maybe someone will come along with some additional insight, but chance are, if you replace the fan with a generic/retail fan, that the sensors will not be able to properly monitor your fan, keeping your system in a constant state of error/warning related to the "faulty" hardware.  Even if you can live with that, there is a very good chance that, upon detecting the "faulty" fan, that the speed of the other system fans will be kicked up to compensate, greatly increasing the noise from the server.

• 

166 Posts

June 8th, 2012 01:00

Hi Vincent

Alternatively from both the suggestions from theflash and skylarking, you may want to try to update the PowerEdge T410's BIOS and iDRAC.

The updates might help.

As usual, please perform a data backup before performing the update.

BIOS

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

iDRAC

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Let us know how it goes.

548 Posts

June 10th, 2012 00:00

Sorry Vincent, i should not have assume anything.

Best approach is to first ensure all fans working and are free from debris, then check that the system is fault free and that all drivers, firmware, bios are the latest available (especially BIOS and iDrac firmware).

I would then independently cross check all temperature sensor data is reasonably accurate with some other measuring device. Only then, if the noise problem still exists, should you consider the options i mentioned in my first post.

Thanks Manfred for reminding me not to assume anything.

PS: In my case, the updates did little to resolve the fan roar, hope you have better luck...

14 Posts

June 11th, 2012 02:00

Thank you for all the links, I'll try the fan threshold stuff (I'm under Linux too).

Vincent

14 Posts

June 18th, 2012 10:00

Hi everyone, I'm still in need of a little more of help... In my current env, the standard system fan runs at 1280rpm/1440rpm with the new BMC firmware (1.70). I would still like to lower its noise and I got a 1500rpm Noctua PWM fan with good CFM and comparable rpm and then I'm running into the connector problem: - The connector on the mobo is a 4-pin and has an undefined wiring. - The connector on the fan is different and the wires are ordered 'differently' than those from the stock Delta Fan. I got this fan, btw: http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=42&lng=en&set=1, Noctua NF-F12 PWM. So the only thing stopping me from replacing is matching the wires on the fan and the connectors on the mobo. Do you think that with PWN and by using a numeric volmeter I could figure it out or does it take rocket-science? I wouldn't want to bust this brand new motherboard.. Many thanks in advance for your help, Vincent

14 Posts

June 18th, 2012 10:00

Sorry about the inadequate formatting of the above post.. :(

Here's the post again and with correct formatting:

Hi everyone,

I'm still in need of a little more of help...

In my current env, the standard system fan runs at 1280rpm/1440rpm with the new BMC firmware (1.70).

I would still like to lower its noise and I got a 1500rpm Noctua PWM fan with good CFM and comparable rpm and then I'm running into the connector problem:

- The connector on the mobo is a 4-pin and has an undefined wiring.

- The connector on the fan is different and the wires are ordered 'differently' than those from the stock Delta Fan.

I got this fan, btw: www.noctua.at/main.php, Noctua NF-F12 PWM.

So the only thing stopping me from replacing is matching the wires on the fan and the connectors on the mobo.

Do you think that with PWN and by using a numeric volmeter I could figure it out or does it take rocket-science?

I wouldn't want to bust this brand new motherboard..

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Vincent

548 Posts

June 19th, 2012 01:00

Hi Vincent,

Dell uses a proprietary connector for their PWM fan. This means you will need to either source a new Dell style connector with pins from some supplier for use with your new fan or reuse your old connector (by cut the wires a little above the connector itself) and soldering them to the appropriate wires from your new PWM fan.

This is explained by Brent on his PowerEdge 1900 project page. For further details see Replacing the fans on a PowerEdge 2800. But do note that your system may be wired differently to his 1900/2800 so you should check your wiring as the control(PWM) and sense(tacho) signals are the ones likely to cause confusion while VCC(power) and Ground are obvious (and easy to check with a multimeter).

Do remember that if your fans spin slower than the hard coded BMC thresholds, your system will see this as a fault and raise an error/warning. As such you may need to modify your BMC firmware if this is of concern to you. The above mentioned project pages should give you some idea of what is involved.

Cheers

[edited to correct formatting]

14 Posts

June 19th, 2012 02:00

Hi skylarking,

Thank you for your answer. I have a spare motherboard connector of the appropriate type since I got a 'spare' fan with the server. So no need to cut wires, I just need to match the 4 wires on the Noctua with the connector 'slots' on the connector itself.

As you say, if the rpm ranges are different, it will result in an error  to the BMC but given the room temp, server placement and low-power components I'm using, I'm willing to take that chance.

I will try to figure out the proper wiring (any hints on color codes for the 12VCD Delta fans?) and post my results here.

Best regards from France and many thanks for the help,

Vincent

548 Posts

June 19th, 2012 21:00

Hi Vincent,

the second link i referenced in my previous post describes the wire color & wire function for the Dell supplied Delta CPU fan which uses the Dell style connector found in the PE 2800. That same page also defines wire color for the replacement Everflow fan 'arnuschky' used amongst others Dell and non Dell fans, so read it. :emotion-1:

All the info you need regarding a fan modification for a PE 2800 can in fact be found on 'arnuschky's project page so read and understand the main how to's and related posts. But as i don't have a T410 and as yet haven't done a fan mod to my T610, you have to determine what info is relevant and applicable to your server. The PE 2800 info may or may not be the same as T410 or T610 but as yet i don't know. :emotion-6:

14 Posts

June 20th, 2012 04:00

Hi skylarking,

Thanks for trying to help me. :)

Yes, I read the second link. :) This is what I got from your link:

Pin Funtion           Dell

1 VCC                red

2 Control/PWM blue

3 Ground black black

4 Sense/Tacho yellow

My stock fan is also a DELTA fan but my wire order on the dell connector is a little different.

It looks like this (see picture):

Pin Funtion                Delta

1 ?? blue

2 Ground black

3 ?? red

4 Sense/Tacho yellow

Looking at the PDF file for the Delta FAN indicates that

Black wire: Negative

Red Wire: Positive (+)

Blue Wire: Tachometer output (F00)

Yellow Wire: Speed Control (PWM)

So puting this information together gives:

Pin Funtion Delta

1 SENSE blue

2 Ground black

3 VCC red

4 PWM yellow

Do you think that's OK?

For the Noctua fan, I found this:

And again, putting all this together gives:

Pin Funtion     Delta        Noctua
1 SENSE        blue        green
2 Ground    black        black
3 VCC        red        yellow
4 PWM        yellow        blue

Does it sound OK?

Thanks,

Vincent (who doesn't want to short-circuit his mobo). :)

548 Posts

June 20th, 2012 22:00

The Power Edge T410 Technical Guide Book has some detail about your system and is worth downloading but unfortunately lacks any details about the connector pinouts on the mobo, something that HP documentation does well. Dell could learn something from HP in this regard. Dumbing down of technical documentation seems to be an ever increasing problem (it's probably caused by a proprietary mindset gone mad) and is a pet hate of mine.

Anyway the T410 does have a different physical connector as compared to the square fan plug on the 2800 but you found a doc that defines what the Noctua wire colors mean which is rather helpful. Also take note from arnuschky's fan page i referenced where you would have read the following sentence;

"Next problem was that all fans spun at full speed. Impressively noisy, even for a seasoned cluster admin as me (I could hear the vibration 2 floors below). The reason were swapped PWM and Tacho pins"

Now it's highly likely that the Dell connector black wire is ground and the red wire is VCC (+12V) which you can check with the fan plugged into the system using a multimeter with fine probes to be 100% sure. This will define which plug connector wire position to use when installing the noctua black wire (ground) and yellow wire (VCC) to the Dell plug. As for the PWM and SENCE wires, it sounds from arbuschky's comment that you will will not damage your system should you get them wrong though it's highly likely the Dell blue wire is SENCE and yellow is PWM which gives you the connector positions to use with the appropriate PWM and SENCE wires from the noctua fan.

So you do seem to be correct in your pin/wire assignments above.

Also note, the pins used in the Dell connector and the Noctua connector look much the same, so you may be able to use a needle to remove them from the plastic shell itself and reposition them according to the Dell proprietary positioning (sence, ground, vcc, pwm) either in the old dell connector shell or the noctua shell (if that will plug into the mobo fan header).

It's up to you to decide if your research and testing is sufficient to make the fan change, i can't give guarantees.

14 Posts

June 25th, 2012 03:00

Hi skylarking,

Just a quick follow-up. I believe I'm half-way there. :)

The previous days were a little warmer and the stock Dell/Delta fan was running around 1680rpm/1800rpm, which exceeds the 1500rpm of the Noctua fan, therefore I decided against using the Noctua in PWM mode.

So I decided to use a SATA-to-4-pin PWM power adapter and use the Notuca fan with that. The motherboard detects that there is no fan connected but the error can be cleared using ipmitool. The Noctua fan running at its max speed with the SATA power adapter keeps the system cool (the disk drives and the cpu sensors show at most a 1C-2C difference from before). This is the SATA-to-4pin adapter that I used:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9884/cab-176/ModRight_CableRight_SATA_15-pin_to_Dual_PWM_4-Pin_or_3-Pin_Cable_Adapter_OSA-086.html

My T410 is much more quiet now but I cannot monitor the fan since it's not connected to the Mobo PWM connector.

Next, I got a Nexus 120mm 'Super-Silent'  fan with PWM which goes up to 2000rpm. Given that its CFM values are in the same range as the original Delta fan (113CFM at 3400rpm vs 76CFM at 2000rpm). I will attempt to use the Nexus fan in PWM mode with the motherboard connector. Amusingly, the Noctua and Nexus fans don't have the same connector order (or colors) on their 'standard' PWM wiring.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks again for the help,

Vincent

No Events found!