Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 6th, 2013 09:00

Dell UPS 2700W, MUMC and vSphere 5.0 configuration

Hello

I have a Dell UPS 2700W with network management card and two R720s running ESXi 5.0. The two hosts are part of a HA cluster and I would like to be able to shut them down gracefully using MUMC in the event of a power outage. The hosts are managed by vCenter. 

I've read the documentation and various threads on forums. As I understand it, MUMC will only initiate a host to go into maintenance mode or shutdown. Graceful shutdown of VMs must be handled in vSphere and this can be done by enabling VM startup and shutdown option on each host. Is this correct?

I would like to install MUMC on vCenter which is a VM and part of the HA cluster. My question is are there any cavats to doing this? During a shutdown If vCenter is powered off before the other VMs will this affect the rest of shutdown process? Or once the shutdown process is initiated on the host the availability of MUMC is no longer required?

Thanks for any help and/or advice.

44 Posts

March 7th, 2013 08:00

Hi Ricky,

You seem to have understood the broad approach so it should be fairly straight forward.  Below is an example of settings for a 3-host cluster system which details the shutdown process and host settings within MUMC.   The crucial thing for you would be to enable the "Remote Shutdown of Virtual Machines" function to prevent VMs from trying to restart on remaining hosts (and also the VM startup/shutdown profile is not available when you enable HA).  This is done in the host "node settings" menu in MUMC.

You are right that MUMC initiates the "maintenance mode" or "shutdown" request to the host and typically the VM/host response to this request is handled/configured through vCentre/vSphere/HA etc.  The one exception to this is the HA VM shutdown switch.

Let me know if this helps!

9 Posts

March 8th, 2013 07:00

Hi Andy

Thanks for the information, its very helpful! I would just like to shutdown all VMs on their respective hosts without doing a phased migration/consolidation onto one host. So in my instance I would just use the settings on ESX3 in the above example?

If I'm running MUMC on vCenter which is a VM within the cluster, what happens if the VM hosting MUMC is shutdown before the entire shutdown process is completed? Does MUMC send the shutdown command or is it the UPS?

I also thought that only the automatic start up function of Virtual Machine Startup and Shutdown was disabled when using HA?

pubs.vmware.com/.../index.jsp

Thanks!

Richard

44 Posts

March 8th, 2013 07:00

Hi Richard,

Glad the comments were useful :-)  Yes, you would just use the ESX3 settings in your particular case.

The trick with MUMC is to realise that it needs to be functional (live) in order to send the maintenance/shutdown commands.  Hence you need to make sure that the VM hosting it is the last man standing, or at least that by the time this VM begins to shut down, all the initiations have already taken place.  Once the host has begun the shutdown process the MUMC client would be OK to shut down.

You may be right about the VM automation, I haven't checked that in a while, I'll defer to you on that one!

Have a good weekend.

Andy

9 Posts

March 8th, 2013 08:00

Okay it looks like I need to look into this a bit more to get the timings right.

Thanks again for your comments, they've been most helpful.

Enjoy your weekend too.

Richard

9 Posts

March 8th, 2013 09:00

Hi Andy

I just thought of another question in regards to RSVM:

If this feature is enabled on a host with the following values:

Master shutdown after - 40mins

Master shutdown duration - 20mins

Could you confirm the behaviour when the UPS goes on battery?

1) UPS goes on battery.

2) After 40 mins RSVM initiates VM shutdown.

3) MUMC waits until all VMs are powered off then initiates host shutdown.

4) After 60 mins the UPS shuts off.

I'm I correct in assuming that MUMC needs to be online to issue the host shutdown after RSVM has powered off all of the VMs?

Thanks,

Richard

44 Posts

March 11th, 2013 03:00

Hi Richard,

For your settings, this would be the sequence:

1) UPS goes onto battery mode

2) Countdown timer begins (Master shutdown after variable)

3) 40mins elapses, then "shutdown" command issued to host (including the RSVM switch if selected)

4) UPS waits for a further 20mins during which time it assumes that all required actions (shutting down VMs, host) has been completed (there is no feedback mechanism to the UPS or MUMC)

5) UPS turns off outlets to host (default behaviour, but this part can be disabled to leave sockets on)

This is why the "Master Shutdown Duration" is an important variable - because there is no feedback or abort mechanism you need to be sure that the 20mins is enough for everything to take place.  Once the shutdown timer (Master Shutdown Duration) counter has elapsed, the shutdown process has begun and cannot be aborted (due to OS limitations, not UPS s/w functionality.   Hence the Master Shutdown Duration should be a conservative number.

Hope this helps!

Andy

9 Posts

March 11th, 2013 04:00

Hi Andy

Just to clarify once the shutdown command is initiated to the host is there any further requirement for MUMC to be online? I'm just trying to ascertain if running MUMC on a VM within the cluster is going to be feasible design wise or whether I need to provision a physical host to install MUMC on.

Additionally once the Master Shutdown duration has been reached will the UPS only turn off the outlet that is connected to the host or will all outlets be powered off.

Thanks again!

Richard  

44 Posts

March 11th, 2013 05:00

Hi Richard,

The "Shutdown now" command (when countdown timer has expired) is the last command that the MUMC software sends.  Beyond this point it is OK to shut down the VM running MUMC.  All outlets will be powered off when the sequence is complete, hence why in the original example the total time derrived from [Shutdown after] + [Shutdown duration] should be considered for all devices attached to the UPS.

Andy

9 Posts

March 11th, 2013 05:00

Hi Andy

All this information has been very helpful, thanks once again!!

Richard

2 Posts

August 17th, 2013 14:00

Do you have the images in better resolution?

44 Posts

August 19th, 2013 03:00

Hi Viktor,

I just uploaded the original PDF document to DropBox: 

Dell UPS Shutdown Sequence Timing Examples:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78627542/DellUPS_TechNotes/DellUPS_SoftwareShutdownSequence_TimingExamples.pdf

Some other files that you or others might find useful:

General setup guide for VMware with vCentre:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78627542/DellUPS_TechNotes/Dell-TIN-UPS003_VMware_vCenter_Shutdown_Scenarios-10-11-12.pdf

Common Software Installation Scenarios (non-virtualized OS, or virtualized OS using ULNM as local agent):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78627542/DellUPS_TechNotes/Dell-TIN-UPS002_Common_Software_Installation_Scenarios-10-11-12.pdf

How to shutdown EQL arrays with simple scripting:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78627542/DellUPS_StorageManagement/EQL%20Array%20Shutdown%20with%20Dell%20UPS.docx
Example script: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78627542/DellUPS_StorageManagement/eql-shutdown%20(rename%20to%20ps1).txt

How to shutdown Compellent Arrays (German, but lots of screenshots):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78627542/DellUPS_StorageManagement/Dell%20USV%20Konfiguration%20f%C3%BCr%20Compellent%20Storage%20Center%20Shutdown.pdf

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Andy

2 Posts

August 19th, 2013 04:00

Hi Andy,

I do not understand exactly how the MUMC works.

"MUMC send maintenance mode command to host"

This command is defined as alarm ?

The MUMC send shutdown command to each VM or to the vCenter?

If the MUMC send shutdown command to the vCenter (defined as alarm) so, I must to configure the shutdown process of each VM in vCenter?

"com.eaton.event.ups.powersummary.presentstatus.acppresent.1 or 2" this string is only one string that MUMC sends?

Viktor

44 Posts

August 19th, 2013 10:00

Hi Viktor,

Have a look through the document below, it gives you answers to most of your questions, but in short:

- MUMC sends commands to vCentre.  vCentre handles the rest (VM activity, host shutdown etc).
- MUMC sends commands to vCentre (I don't know the specific mechanics) but also sends alarms to the alarm panel so you can see/report what events are taking place.
- In general each VM response to "maintenance mode" or "shutdown" requests is defined within your cluster/host settings.  The document below gives some examples.

General setup guide for VMware with vCentre:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78627542/DellUPS_TechNotes/Dell-TIN-UPS003_VMware_vCenter_Shutdown_Scenarios-10-11-12.pdf

Andy

No Events found!