Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 20th, 2012 17:00

Dell UPS 2700W Service Battery warning

Yesterday one of our Dell UPS 2700W sounded an alarm and the error log reports it as Alarm 149.  According to the manual here is the description:

"A faulted battery string has
been detected and as a result,
the charger is disabled." 

The recommended action is to "Contact your service representative."  I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on this error message.  What it exactly means and is there anything I can do short of actually calling Dell for help.

I appreciate any help or suggestions.  For now the backlight on the front display is orange instead of blue and the there is a blinking battery icon with a line through it.

Also, the UPS Management software from Dell shows that everything is functioning normally so I'm kind of confused. 

• 

6.2K Posts

March 20th, 2012 17:00

Hello Delled

The error is a general battery fault. Make sure the firmware is version 1.12 or later and reseat the battery. Then you will need to clear the error from the console of the UPS. If the error returns then the battery will likely need to be replaced.

Thanks

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

• 

6.2K Posts

January 24th, 2013 10:00

Where is the service tag located on the UPS?  I can't seem to find any info on them anywhere on the web.  I need the tag # to contact support.  If I remove the batteries from the UPS, will my devices continue to stay powered on?  Many thanks!!

Our UPSs do not have service tags. Use the service tag of the rack or server it was purchased with. It is warrantied according to the order number, so if it was purchased with a rack or server that has a service tag then that item can be used to locate the associated order number. If it was purchased by itself then you will need to provide the order number it was purchased on.

One of the features of the 2700 is the ability to swap out batteries without loss of power, so yes it will continue to operate with the EBM removed. The main battery is required for operation.

Thanks

2 Posts

March 21st, 2013 10:00

Yes the 2700W UPSs DO have service tags! That statement is NOT accurate! The service tag is always placed under the removable front cover next to the display panel!

December 4th, 2012 10:00

We have the additional external battery pack module for our 2700.  Is there a way to tell which battery is faulty other than by unplugging the external battery module from the UPS?  

Thanks

2 Posts

January 23rd, 2013 03:00

Hi, we have the same issue and setup (additonal battery). Did you get a solution for this?

• 

6.2K Posts

January 24th, 2013 09:00

Hi, we have the same issue and setup (additonal battery). Did you get a solution for this?

No, there is not a method to distinguish between the two batteries when receiving battery faults. The EBM connector has no logic, so the UPS is unable to distinguish between the two batteries. Troubleshooting the two batteries will require disconnecting the EBM to see if the fault condition is corrected with it removed. In the event of a complete battery failure you might be able to tell which battery is failed by the remaining battery life since the EBM has a much larger charge capacity than the primary battery.

Thanks

2 Posts

January 24th, 2013 09:00

thanks, we are getting new batteries as we under warranty. The 149 error still allowed the UPS to work in pass through mode once the battery had drained (I was concerned as the clock ticked down it was going to fail completely!)

Where is the service tag located on the UPS?  I can't seem to find any info on them anywhere on the web.  I need the tag # to contact support.  If I remove the batteries from the UPS, will my devices continue to stay powered on?  Many thanks!!

THANKS!!!!  I will call this afternoon and see where we can go from here.  

2 Posts

March 21st, 2013 10:00

I ordered seven (7) 2700W (short-depth) UPSs and all seven have this problem. It is NOT a firmware issue.

Dell confirmed it is a hardware problem.

All seven have to be replaced. Unfortunately (after weeks so far) Dell cannot determine which UPSs in their stock is good vs bad and has yet to replace them. I suspect many have been manufactured with the problem.

They will fail with alarm 149 alarm approximately every 2 days. If the alarm is not reset in time, the battery power to the devices will be shutoff. It is not correct to state that the power will stay or remain on. It will onely stay on for a few hours unless it is manually reset, physically, at the UPS itself.

In addition, this alarm DOES NOT trigger the management card to send a notification! If you log into the web management interface of the management card, the UPS has no errors and is functioning properly, even when the power is actually disconnected and the UPS is supplying no power. The management card simply sends no error notifications at all. If I look at the logs via the front of the UPS, I see the error messages. If I look at the log via the management card, no error is displayed.

This is a disaster for this model of UPS! It is absolutely unusable and completely unreliable. I now have to wonder if the management card will ever really work correctly after I see that it does not pick up any of the errors.

The only auto-notification I can possibly receive is via Dell's multi-ups software where it will recognize that the UPS cannot communicate: and this is ONLY because I am using these UPSs to supply power to POE network switches. When the network switch shuts down because the power is lost, the communication with the UPS is also lost and that is the only auto-notification I can receive... when its too late to matter.

So, Dell... if you are listening don't just fix this 149 error problem... figure out why the management cards are completely worthless and don't send any alarms and don't report the same logs that can be viewed on the front of the device itself! Apparently, when an alarm is triggered a message is supposed to be sent to the management card, but never do get sent. There are never any errors listed via the management card. Remember - all seven UPSs do the exact same thing, so all seven management cards don't report errors. This is a wide-spread problem.

1 Message

May 9th, 2013 04:00

Ours doesn't have a service tag anywhere on it and not under the front panel either

2 Posts

May 9th, 2013 10:00

FYI: It turned out to be defective hardware and all the UPS units were replaced. If someone has older UPSs units that do not have service tags, I'm not sure if its the same issue since it was isolated to a particular manufacturer with a particular bad batch.

In addition, I have older UPS units than 2012 and they do have service tags under their panel but they are not the 2700W version, they are the 4200W version.

• 

6.2K Posts

May 9th, 2013 10:00

Ours doesn't have a service tag anywhere on it and not under the front panel either

Only the newer ones have service tags. We started putting tags on them around first quarter of 2012.

1 Message

May 19th, 2014 02:00

Just figured the service tag location for a customer over the phone.

For a Dell 2700R (euro) ups model, the service tag is shown if you remove the front cover.  

This is for a mid 2013 model.

April 2nd, 2015 13:00

Thanks in advance...  

I have this Dell UPS 2700W with the 149 alarm. It  has firmware 1.10.0001 installed. I figured I'd update. The only version I find on Dell site is 01.06.0003 with the upgrade tool says is not for this device. I'd like to update to 1.12 as  suggested. Any ideas to the latest firmware?

No Events found!