Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 24th, 2015 10:00

Dell VRTX Drive Configuration

I am trying to configure a Dell VRTX with 3 Blades with Windows 2012 R2 Failover

I followed the Dell instructions to create a Quorum Disk (RAID 1) and a cluster shared disk (CSV) - Raid 50.

The issue is, in each Windows Host, Disk Manager sees each virtual disk twice/

What have I missed?

4 Posts

September 25th, 2015 09:00

I answered my own question.

The Microsoft MPIO Feature must be installed as well

• 

6.2K Posts

September 24th, 2015 13:00

Hello

I followed the Dell instructions to create a Quorum Disk (RAID 1) and a cluster shared disk (CSV) - Raid 50.

Windows will only display what is presented by the hardware. You will need to provide details on your RAID configuration.

Thanks

4 Posts

September 24th, 2015 14:00

Let me know what details I can add:

VTRX Storage

phyical Disks 0 and 1 create vDisk 1, RAID 1 with pDisk 2 as dedicated hotspare

pDisk 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 form vDisk 2, RAID 50 with pDisk 9 as dedicated hotspare.

So according the VRTX, there are only 2 virtual Disks, yet in Windows Disk Management two disks are presented that are identical to the size of vDisk1 and two more are presented that are identical in size to vDisk2

This happens on all three hosts 

2 Posts

October 23rd, 2015 09:00

Thanks for your post, I was in exact situation. After MPIO problem solved.

Did you change the MPIO policy on each virtual drive from Round Robin to Failover ?  

4 Posts

October 23rd, 2015 11:00

Actually. I haven't. I have however been experiencing random, significant performance issues. Could this be the problem? I don't know too much about Microsoft's MPIO driver. I had been looking at the networking configuration from the guest OS to host but changing VMQ settings didn't seem to have an effect. Have you experienced anything similar? The guest is and host is will suddenly slow to a crawl. Mouse clicks are kind of queued up and task manager on both shows nothing really running.

2 Posts

October 23rd, 2015 11:00

I am still in the validating cluster phase, I am sure I am in for some headaches as well.  Wish there were a guide from Dell specific to configuring DUAL perc8.

I know with older versions of the firmware, having dual perc would prevent write-back caching.  If you havent already make sure you have the correct firmware.

I am running 23.12.56-0086

Hope that helps.

2 Posts

September 7th, 2016 14:00

Hi and thanks the MPIO installation and enabling of "Add support for iSCSI" and "Add support for SAS" under the "Discover Multipaths" tab removed the double vDisk entries on 1 of 2 M630 blades. The other blade refuses to dispaly any of the vDisks created.

The setup of the vDisks is almost same as described here:  I assign the full access to multiple virtual storage adaptors it is the virtual disk is appear twice on server 1 and not appearing at all on server 2 in disk management. I have cluster services installed on both blades in question and did so before enabling multiple assignments as per Dell advise.

As I mention MPIO sorted out server 1 but I dont see the vDisks on server 2. Anyone any Ideas? Thanks.

No Events found!